Galveston Jetties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toecutter

Reaction score
Has anyone done any diving around the jetties protecting the ship channel on Galveston Island? I would guess that vis would be bad year round but is there anything worth seeing out there? Is it a "safe" place to dive?

Thanks,

Toe

I doubt you'll find many places LESS safe than a wave-swept turbid jetty chock full of broken glass, monofilament, and rusty hooks. Bleah! I've recovered dead DOLPHINS that couldn't hack swimming around these structures... one even had it's flukes wrapped up in line and caused it to to drown mere inches from the surface. No thank you.

Try Offat's Bayou on 61st street if you're stuck in Galveston. Maybe you can sneak into one of the aquariums at Moody Gardens...

archman:
Maybe you can sneak into one of the aquariums at Moody Gardens...

we are actually working on trying to open up the aquariums to divers, who will be able to pay of course, to dive in them. its a lot of insurance and liability work, so its not definite right now. if i learn anything new, ill post it. BTW for those who dont know me, i dive in the aquariums at moody (i know im special) :eyebrow:

Thanks for the replies. That is pretty much as I figured. I was discussing Offatts Bayou with someone who told me they had been spearfishing around those jetties and I was a little incredulous. I have snorkeled around some jetties but they were in much better water than Galveston Bay. This place is out.

Toecutter:
Thanks for the replies. That is pretty much as I figured. I was discussing Offatts Bayou with someone who told me they had been spearfishing around those jetties and I was a little incredulous. I have snorkeled around some jetties but they were in much better water than Galveston Bay. This place is out.

Good decision for you, Toecutter.

Regards,

Galveston DOES have dive shops, just not persistent ones. When I was in school there we had The Deep and two others. Then for a while there was only one shop, then no shops, then one shop, upped to two, then back to one.

I'm not sure on this, but last I heard there was one currently operating on the Island.

archman:
Galveston DOES have dive shops, just not persistent ones. When I was in school there we had The Deep and two others. Then for a while there was only one shop, then no shops, then one shop, upped to two, then back to one.

I'm not sure on this, but last I heard there was one currently operating on the Island.

Hi AMan,

Do you happen to have a name/number of this shop? I would like to find a place down there to get some air.

Thanks,

Toe

According to scubawizard.com there's this joint.

Diver's Education & Equipment Place
4104 Seawall Blvd
Galveston, TX 77550
Phone: (409) 765-9746

I don't know how current this is. The webpage is copyrighted only to 2000. I'd check the local phonebook personally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom