Galveston Diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moostang

Reaction score
Anyone know any decent places to dive around Galveston. I'm looking for a semi close ocean site to dive for my first ocean dive. Any info would be appreciated including dive sites, shops, charters, etc...

Thanks,
Chase

The only place I can think of that fits is Offats (sp?) Bayou. But I wouldn't really think of it as a great first saltwater dive. It's more like local lake diving with salty water!

run down the threads in the swampers forum. There are several postings regarding this, many of them within the last couple of months. You can also run a search using keywords like "galveston, bayou, houston, diving"

Don't dive the jetties. That's just whacked!

Moostang:
Anyone know any decent places to dive around Galveston. I'm looking for a semi close ocean site to dive for my first ocean dive. Any info would be appreciated including dive sites, shops, charters, etc...

Thanks,
Chase

Chase,

Where did you do your open water diving? How many dives to date? We might be able to be of more help with that info.

Regards,

Cudabait:
Chase,

Where did you do your open water diving? How many dives to date? We might be able to be of more help with that info.

Regards,

I got certified out of Tyler, Texas back in 1991 (jr diver) but didn't get back into diving until last year. I only have about 30 logged dives to date. I have also received my Adanced and Rescue certs in the past year. I'm wanting to go up to dive master.

I still live in Tyler and feel Galveston is the closest ocean shore from where I am. I plan on going to south padre later this year but I'm dying to get wet in salty water sooner.

Thanks,
Chase

Moostang,

Offatt's Bayou is located right off 61st Street in Galveston. Easy to reach. South on I-45 to 61st St. exit. Go right. about three or four hundred yards on the right you will see a public boat ramp and parking area right on the water. A number of commercial diving schools use this as a staging area for their "salty dives". Best time to go is during the week. Weekends when school is out can be pretty busy with boat traffic, etc. There is no surf or surge. Viz is usually 6-10 ft. Touch bases with Toecutter on this board. I believe he has been there in the past few weeks. More recent than I.

Offatt's Bayou and English Bayou (across 61st Street) are Texas locations that can be dived year 'round. Not the worse, and certainly not the best. But very doable.

Regards

Cudabait:
Moostang,

Offatt's Bayou and English Bayou (across 61st Street) are Texas locations that can be dived year 'round. Not the worse, and certainly not the best. But very doable.

Regards

Eek, 6-10 ft vissy...What about charters. I'd really like my first dive to be in a league of it's own and not be able to compare it to lake diving.

Any decent charters that could take me out a bit further so I could experience clear waters that would get me addicted hehe.

Thanks,
Chase

Cudabait:
Moostang,

Offatt's Bayou is located right off 61st Street in Galveston. Easy to reach. Regards

Do you have to have a boat? Can you dive off the shore? Excuse my ignorance, I've never been diving in the Ocean. Does it cost any admittence fees?

Thanks,
Chase

Back
Top Bottom