Galloping Gertie/Tacoma Narrows Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

otter-cat

Reaction score
I've heard stories about diving the sunken version of the tacoma narrows bridge, aka "Galloping Gertie" but don't know any of the details. I've also heard that it is no longer possible to do that dive (b/c of construction, maybe?)

I'd REALLY like to dive there if it is still possible. I know it is supposed to be a dive site where current/tides are a major issue. Can anyone tell me if/when/how/with whom I can dive there?

Thanks a bunch for any info you can share!

I dived the Gertie bridge site in the 80s while living in OR and it was an absolutely spectacular dive. We dived during a noon-time slack tide, but unfortunately I don't recall where we put in. Vis was >60' (I think this is pretty exceptional) and octopus were in abundance...

Can't help you with current dive access tho.

Contact Rick at Bandito Charters ...

http://www.banditocharters.com/bandito/

I think there are parts of the bridge that are still divable on days when the construction crews aren't working ... but don't take my word for it. Rick would know ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A little more Tacoma narrows scuttlebut...

From what I've heard Gertie has seen substantial dammage from the current construction activity. (There is a group that's documenting it and has already brought the issue to the forefront and is seeking dammages).

However, for us sports diveers, most dives will normally find you crusing the anchor blocks and the upper (depth) deck section. The bridge sections are deeper and I've only explored one or two sections due to the depth and the speed with which I use my air at that depth.

It is a spectacular dive. The pilings, the huge mooring blocks and the old sections of bridge deck were some fantastic structure for wolfies, octos and tons of invertebrate life. The latest I've heard from Underwater Admiralty Services (last Saturday at the annual WSA meeting), is that most of the structure has been covered up with hundreds of tons of fill rock. The anchoring system used for the new bridge construction has decimated most of the remaining bridge deck sections and flattened them.. The statement "it now looks like a beer can on the freeway" was used several times during the meeting. It's a grim situation for the dive community, the destruction of the world's longest artificial reef...

To my knowledge the current restrictions don't allow diving within 750' of the construction. This likely excludes most of the bridge, but Rick would know for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom