Galileo Sol Vs Galileo Luna

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@NickRuberg I asked about the trimix upgrade for my Sol at my LDS. They said that the upgrade greatly shortens NDLs for nitrox no-decompression dives compared to the standard Buhlman 8. The LDS said that, for "occasional" trimix divers the difference was so obnoxious that Scubapro had to come up with a further "upgrade" to allow users to "uninstall" the trimix algorithm and the LDS recommended buying a dedicated trimix computer instead.

Have you noticed this?

Can you make adjustments in the trimix algorigthm using the MB levels to get comparable NDLs? The LDS also said there was no way to switch between algorithms as the trimix upgrade replaced the old algorithm and you had to have one or the other.

You are one of the few people who has posted who has done both algorigthms, so your experience would be useful. If anyone else has input, please weigh in as well!

Not true. You can turn off the trimix settng in the dive settings menu. Ergo, you choose what to dive, the trimix algorithm or the 'old' algorithm.

Thanks Jax! That's the kind of feedback that's really useful. I will go ahead and install it.

Thanks Jax! That's the kind of feedback that's really useful. I will go ahead and install it.

When you do, do a couple of same dives, one with trimix off and the other with trimix on. I found the trimix setting slows the ascent more, and is more conservative, even if you don't set a trimix gas.

@NickRuberg I asked about the trimix upgrade for my Sol at my LDS. They said that the upgrade greatly shortens NDLs for nitrox no-decompression dives compared to the standard Buhlman 8. The LDS said that, for "occasional" trimix divers the difference was so obnoxious that Scubapro had to come up with a further "upgrade" to allow users to "uninstall" the trimix algorithm and the LDS recommended buying a dedicated trimix computer instead.

Have you noticed this?

Can you make adjustments in the trimix algorigthm using the MB levels to get comparable NDLs? The LDS also said there was no way to switch between algorithms as the trimix upgrade replaced the old algorithm and you had to have one or the other.

You are one of the few people who has posted who has done both algorigthms, so your experience would be useful. If anyone else has input, please weigh in as well!

I have the trimix upgrade on my Luna, but it's a little more complicated than that at the moment.

I got the predictive multi gas upgrade for technical nitrox diving using O2 for deco. As soon as the Trimix Beta was available I applied and got a copy. I wasn't impressed. I eventually installed the production version, but I still wasn't impressed.

I didn't notice any differences in the nitrox diving after the install, however I did notice that the Trimix profiles were INCREDIBLY conservative - as in if your team mate using some other trimix computer has 5-7 minutes of deco, you've got 25 minutes of deco for the same bottom profile. I dove it along side the Shearwater Predator that eventually replaced it and it was always calling for substantially longer deco than a Predator using the stock 30/85 GFs.

I still have my Luna and I just installed a new battery, but it hasn't been in the water in a few years, and I should probably sell it.

-----

My understanding is that at the moment Scuabpro is selling the PMG upgrade for the updated Sol and Luna computers, but they have not yet released a new Trimix upgrade for it yet. Apparently the old Trimix software generates an error message in the updated Sol and Luna.

I'd like to think that Scubapro is actually fixing the overly conservative trimix profiles, and that this might be causing the delay in recertifying the new trimix software - but I doubt it.

If you need a multigas computer and want to dive trimix, just get a Shearwater Petrel - it's a better computer with far more capability, a much better display and is a much better value for the money, if you don't want un-necessary bells and whistles like a HRM.

Hey all, I know this post is old but being new to the board I have a related question, so see if it flys here.
I am considering the Luna but may need the function of connecting to 2 transmitters (I dive side-mount).
With the PGM upgrade to the Luna, can I pair to 2 transmitters?
I have read that the SOL allows 3 tanks to be monitored but cannot find anything written about the upgraded Luna.
I do not need the other functions that the SOL offers, hence looking at the Luna.
Thanks in advance for any insights you are happy to share.
D.

Hey all, I know this post is old but being new to the board I have a related question, so see if it flys here.
I am considering the Luna but may need the function of connecting to 2 transmitters (I dive side-mount).
With the PGM upgrade to the Luna, can I pair to 2 transmitters?
I have read that the SOL allows 3 tanks to be monitored but cannot find anything written about the upgraded Luna.
I do not need the other functions that the SOL offers, hence looking at the Luna.
Thanks in advance for any insights you are happy to share.
D.
I am diving side-mount now in Aqaba with a Luna. Yes, I am using two transmitters. It is a little complicated if you are diving Nitrox because there is an order that you have to follow to get the % and PPO2 set. Also, you must turn on the TD, even if you are not using a deco bottle. It will ask you to switch to TD at 6 meters but all you have to do is select either T1 or T2 and continue your dive. Let me know if you have any questions, I'm taking a day off after being on a dive boat all day yesterday including a night dive.

Back
Top Bottom