Galileo Sol not displaying pressure reading

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zesty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just trying to do a sanity check here - I dove this computer all last summer without issue. During that time, I did notice that it took a few (up to a minute) to begin seeing the Pressure on the wrist unit. I took the computer to Turks / Caicos last week and went to set up my gear - opened the tank valve, and set the wrist unit next to the transmitter - but two, three minutes later there was still no pressure reading. I have a back up SPG and computer, so i made it through the day, but the same thing occurred on the second day of diving, so I abandoned the unit until I could dig into the issue at home as I did not have the manual with me on my trip.

Today, I got out the manual and found two distinct sentences dealing with this - one said that the display will be blank if the transmitter and receiver are not paired, a second sentence says that you will see --- if they are paired but the receiver is not receiving data (the latter was my condition). After setting up on a known pressured tank, I was still having the same issue, so I pulled the transmitter battery and re-installed it, re-paired with the receiver and viola - pressure readings! During all this, the heart monitor has been functional and there was no indicator that the transmitter battery was low.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is it your experience that it takes a bit of time for the receiver to start showing pressure? Is there anything else I can do to get a comfort level that this will be a reliable piece of gear?

Look forward to your feedback!

I think it's normal to take a minute or two before the unit displays the pressure. It's possible your transmitter battery is on the low side, even though there is no low battery warning. Or the transmitter just needed to be rebooted.

By the way the manual is online on the Scubapro website.

..... By the way the manual is online on the Scubapro website.

Yeah - I now have it in PDF saved to my iPad - never again!

Thanks for the info!

If you purge a 2nd stage a couple times after you turn on the computer it seems to sync faster in my experience. How many dives are on yours? Mine has just under 300 and the batteries are still OK.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is it your experience that it takes a bit of time for the receiver to start showing pressure? Is there anything else I can do to get a comfort level that this will be a reliable piece of gear?

Look forward to your feedback!

IMHO, no wireless transmitter can be considered a reliable piece of equipment. I don't think there is one made that I haven't seen fail during a
dive at least twice. always use a mechanical SPG as backup.
I have had horrible luck with Galileo transmitters. in 4 years I have gone through 5 of them (and my Galileo has only been replaced 3 times, lol). within the last year they switched to a different transmitter, which we seem to be having better luck with. I have also seen the cases where the receiver in the handset comes disconnected and fails to pick up the signal.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=17.744490,-64.705796

My experience with my Luna is exactly the opposite. It's never failed to read pressure during a dive, certainly not twice! I don't take a brass & glass SPG with me on a recreational dive, ever. I monitor my gas frequently, thus if my transmitter ever did stop sending data it wouldn't be a huge emergency. I would just start my ascent. When I travel I do have a brass/glass SPG I keep in my backpack I take on the boat. After four trips it's only been used once, and that was when I loaned it to someone who had a HP hose puncture on the the dive boat.

I use the transmitter on tec dives too, but never without a SPG! Left post SPG, right post transmitter. I check both frequently.

My Luna has always initially displayed pressure, usually within about 20 seconds at the most. If it's taking longer than a minute, then that definately sounds like there may be a problem. My biggest frustrations so far are that it has suffered from occasional signal signal loss issues, and also that the strap completely failed while on a dive once. However, when it's working properly, it is a great product.

In fairness to SP, they have been pretty responsive (along with my LDS) in addressing my concerns over safety and reliability. I sent it in for evaluation, and they replaced the transmitter with one of the new models free-of-charge; replaced the strap too.

Thank you all for chiming in with your personal experiences and advice. The hoseless transmission computer design started many years ago with an UWATEC patent. Each new product, receiver and transmitter, has been improved with new standards and technology up to the current Galileo family of computers.

The latest version of transmitter is, so far, the most reliable and strongest although we have had a few complaints of 'lost transmission' for a very short time during a dive. We recommend placing the computer on the same arm as the side of the regulator that the transmitter is mounted (usually left). We also recommend a battery change even when there is no particular warning to ensure proper power on both units. There is an even more advanced transmitter currently in R & D at this time.

When first pairing the Galileo with its transmitter, it can take up to a minute and yes, purging the second stage can help get a quicker read. Be sure the two units are close to each other since they are out of the water. Once paired, they should recognize each other without further pairing as long as you use the same computer and transmitter.

There was a batch of 'weak' wrist staps that shipped out so if yours has broken, it can be replaced under warranty.

I replaced my strap with two bungees with a method I describe in the computer forum.

I've only had my Sol a few months, but I remember standing at the back of a boat waiting to jump in just having turned on the writst unit and waiting for the pressure to appear. It probably was not that long but it seemed that way as there was a lineup of people waiting behind me. I took a look at my backup SPG before the digital pressure appeared and jumped in. Without a pressure reading I would not jump into the water, hence the importance of the backup. Yes it may be just 20 seconds or so but it can seem like a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom