Galapagos with 19 dives - advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See what happens to the DM at the 20sec mark on this video...

[video=youtube;dmG0SzvCTQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmG0SzvCTQ8[/video]

Buoyancy control has precious little to do with Galapagos diving.

But did you notice - he was wearing split fins ! :) Phil.

Sorry - and also just noticed someone else said this.

But seriously I would wait and dive Galapagos when you are a bit more experienced and comfortable with unpredictable currents and suchlike.

I dive half a dozen or so times a month in Cyprus light wetsuit and it is really like a big swimming pool :) - warm, very little current and good visibility.

I then dive three or four times a month in a uk quarry - drysuit, cold, dark and visibility often less that a couple of feet. Maybe half a dozen or so times a year I dive the English channel off Portsmouth. Very different kettle of fish. Tides, with a tidal range of 9-12 foot sometimes, currents that reverse every few hours with the tide, and can sometimes be 1-2 knots - you can't swim in that for long.

So you have to time your dive for slack water, and that might still have a strong current. I have made dives where I have had to hold onto the wreck and pull myself back to the line hand over hand to avoid being swept away - and that was on slack water !

I always have to make sure I have mentally prepared myself for the change in diving conditions and greater challenges or I don't enjoy the channel dives.

So, nice as diving Galapagos sounds, I would try to get some experience in different conditions and make sure you are really comfortable in them before tackling that.

If you are UK based then I would seriously recommend finding an active dive club, most BSAC clubs are quite good. Get out and dive a few UK sites with tides and currents, get UK sea diving cracked and you will be ready for Galapagos.

Dive safe and have fun - Phil.

Hi! I'm indeed totally aware this is an old post but I'd be curious to know if Puffer Lover or Maverick have found intermediate sites to train and gain accountable experience ? Or did you end up doing the Galapagos ? With how many dives under the belt ? I'm a new diver as well and already dreaming of the Galapagos, the Maldives, etc. I'm aware it takes lots of experience and as I was reading here Galapagos Diving - Galapagos Liveaboard it's a matter of safety and I truly want to respect that but I'm hoping to be able to dive there sooner than later.. Ecuador is on my list at the end of my round the world trip, during which I'll be diving lots!!!

Anyways, as I said, i know it's old but perhaps you guys are now seasoned divers and will get back to me with a bite of your experience :) Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom