Galapagos Liveaboard Recommendations Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fionab

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
You may have read my other thread about our current booked liveaboard - Deep Blue.

Someone mentioned on my thread that Deep Blue was a good stable dive boat, which is why we booked her after reading some great trip reports, but I would welcome your recommendations for other boats, in case we have to seek another operator.

I am very unhappy with the current situation as we booked this trip for October 2007 in October last year so we are nearly 12 months into the booking.

Our UK operator is hopefully in discussions with the US operator but I am not very optimistic for a positive outcome, as they aren't being reasonable.

By all published reports, Deep Blue is a very good op (Eric Cheng's photologs, etc.) Ken Weemhoff at www.galapagosadventures.com has a somewhat poorly organized site with excellent descriptions of various liveaboards (diving & non-diving), including the Deep Blue. (On the other hand, you may already be aware of his business :wink: ) On the phone, he was very helpful to me (planning a non-diving trip).

Not to wander too far off topic, but I think the Deep Blue is an Ecuadorian op.

Other liveaboards that have a good reputation include the various Agressors (including one out of the Galapagos) the Lammer Law (a trimaran, so that should rock less), & the Sky Dancer (a Peter Hughes franchisee, no comments)

The Live Travel Guide book has a list of just about all the boats running multiday tours in the galapagos. There's also a diving guide to the galapagos (Rosenberg?) with a listing of diving liveaboards.

Good luck! (Or, just bite the 10% gratuity bullet, & don't give one cent more; that would likely be my attitude).

I would highly recommend Deep Blue. I was on the boat last October with Eric Cheng and few other friends and had a great time. There's a full trip report on my website (www.debersole.com) under "News".

Doug

Thought I should update you.

Most of our group have decided to bite the bullet and continue with our plans on Deep Blue, we choose the boat after reading Eric Chengs and Dougs report amongst others.

We aren't however very happy at the direct discrimination of European guests by the owners as we will have had to pay the 10% crew gratuity up front and hope the service is as good as some people say.

We are however looking for some assurance that the money we are paying is going directly to the crew, our group charter is paying over $5000 in gratuities which is $500 per crewman.

I only hope they live up to their reputation.

We have heard that 2007 will see the last of the 10 day trips and you won't be able to do land visits in addition to diving so it's now or never.

Anyway still looking forward to it, so roll on next year.

Suggest you compare prices to the Mistral liveaboard. Was on that and it was fine.

http://www.quasarnautica.com

Ecuadorian company, but you can quote their prices when booking through an American agent such as http://www.oceanvoyages.com
which I used, and was very happy with.

You will save quite an amount.

Sorry if you'd rather not have heard!

Seadeuce

Seadeuce:
Suggest you compare prices to the Mistral liveaboard. Was on that and it was fine.

Sorry if you'd rather not have heard!

Seadeuce

Not at all, we dismissed Mistral from the start, although some friends of mine had a good trip on her a few years ago.

It is only for 12, we needed space for 16 at the time.
No Nitrox
A lot smaller

So don't worry about mentioned her, I am sure she is a fine boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom