Trip Report Galapagos Islands Dive and Land Expedition Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do a quick (or quack) duck dive and pull the butt dump
Funny thing with the butt dump valve. I use it on the dive deck to eliminate water in my BC (lean left, pull butt dump valve). At the surface, in a vertical orientation prior to descending, I'm in the habit of using the corrugated hose to expel air from my BC because it is "audible". Once I "hear" that my BC is burped, down I go in more of a head-first orientation.

You can hear and feel all the air come out your butt dump. Give it a try

In between shooting still photography and hanging on for dear life in the surge and currents, we managed to get in a bit of practice with Merry's new GoPro.
Warning; Contains brief scenes of White Tip shark sexual encounters.
It's a large file so it may take some time before it's available in 4K.

Thanks for the trip report and the photos! I bit the bullet and am booked on the same trip in Feb 2022. Good to hear you had a great time on the Galapagos Master.

What was the typical water temperature? I read coldest sites were 66-70 - how many days/dives were in that range? Was your trip in first week of Feb or earlier? I was hoping for warmer waters in Feb, my 5mm won’t be enough for 66 degree... I guess I can try to wear my 3mm on top of my 5mm. I don’t want to buy a 7mm if it’s only 2 or 3 dives in that temperature range.

What lens would you have brought instead?

Did you see any mantas, dolphins, sea lions, seals, or penguins?

Were there any night dives?

There was only one dive at 68°, at Punta Vicente Roca. I saw one sea lion there, no more during the rest of the trip. I saw dolphins briefly once, and no penguins. :(

We were there from January 28 through February 5. The northern islands, Wolf and Darwin were in the low 80s. The southern islands were mostly in the mid 70s. The divers in 7mm wetsuits were cold at Punta Vicente Roca, but fine everywhere else. I didn't even notice the water temps in my drysuit.

Merry was using my 16-35mm lens. I think that or a 60mm would have worked. I couldn't get close enough with my 15mm.

I made 16 dives in eight days. There were no night dives offered.

Hey Max, great trip report of and awesome photos!

I was on the 10 day cruise right after yours. It was great! I'd gone 5 years ago and this trip was far superior with better conditions and mostly great visibility and more critter interactions.

• First dive at Darwin Arch was great with tons and tons of Hammers, and at the end a pod of 200-300 dolphins swam by the group. We had several more dolphin encounters through the week.
  • Lots of turtles, sea lions, several eagle rays, a few giant manta, and perhaps 10 Mola Mola sightings.
  • The Marine Iguana were on fire with very light surge and excellent visibility.
  • While it was not Whale Shark season we saw two individuals. One about 30 feet, the second much smaller. Most of the divers got really close to both.
It's an amazing place and Galapagos Master Deep Blue was a great boat and crew.
Galapagos - Darwins Arch February 08, 2020 248-Edit.jpg

Galapagos - Darwins Arch February 08, 2020 300.jpg

Cape Douglas February 12, 2020 175-Edit.jpg

Wolf Island February 10, 2020 023-Edit.jpg

There was only one dive at 68°, at Punta Vicente Roca. I saw one sea lion there, no more during the rest of the trip. I saw dolphins briefly once, and no penguins. :(

We were there from January 28 through February 5. The northern islands, Wolf and Darwin were in the low 80s. The southern islands were mostly in the mid 70s. The divers in 7mm wetsuits were cold at Punta Vicente Roca, but fine everywhere else. I didn't even notice the water temps in my drysuit.

Merry was using my 16-35mm lens. I think that or a 60mm would have worked. I couldn't get close enough with my 15mm.

I made 16 dives in eight days. There were no night dives offered.

Thanks! Mid 70s and 80s I can handle. What is the Punte Vincent Roca dive known for, is it the marine iguanas?

By 60mm you mean a macro lens?

I'm surprised only one sea lion, thought they were everywhere :(

Hey Max, great trip report of and awesome photos!

I was on the 10 day cruise right after yours. It was great! I'd gone 5 years ago and this trip was far superior with better conditions and mostly great visibility and more critter interactions.

• First dive at Darwin Arch was great with tons and tons of Hammers, and at the end a pod of 200-300 dolphins swam by the group. We had several more dolphin encounters through the week.
  • Lots of turtles, sea lions, several eagle rays, a few giant manta, and perhaps 10 Mola Mola sightings.
  • The Marine Iguana were on fire with very light surge and excellent visibility.
  • While it was not Whale Shark season we saw two individuals. One about 30 feet, the second much smaller. Most of the divers got really close to both.
It's an amazing place and Galapagos Master Deep Blue was a great boat and crew.

Wow looks like you saw everything! Whale shark in Feb!!

Were the water temperatures the same as what Max indicated? What was the coldest?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom