Galapagos for novices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hdtran

Geography Police
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We have a trip scheduled to Ecuador next summer (May-June 07) (or is it winter?).

We're thinking of making a side excursion to the Galapagos Archipelago while there. I've read RoatanMan's excellent adventure to the "Galloping Gosses."

Based on reading that, though, my wife is extremely apprehensive about diving, and would be happy with a land-only excursion.

For a land-based trip, is there interesting "easy" (e.g. calm water, line ascent & descent) diving? (Her certification was in 56-68F water, so cold isn't a huge issue, but currents & seasickness are).

It is doubtful that she would take "local" refresher courses prior to our trip, so another possibility would be a Galapagos-based refresher course, or perhaps the AOW follow-on.

Thanks!!!

I was on the Galapagos Aggressor with my GF this past December. This was her second dive trip. She only had about 20 dives prior. She was very nervous at first, but did great. Had no trouble & did 14 of 15 dives.

Hi hdtran,

If the very inexperienced, rusty or apprehensive diver is luckily enough to encounter only mild surge, currents and chop while on a Galapagos liveaboard, they'll likely have the scuba trip of a lifetime. However, there is of course no guarantee of such conditions. The region, especially up north at Wolf and Darwin Islands were the big pelagic action comes down, is better known for surge and current. And, when it gets going full tilt it can challange and fatigue even the most skilled, fit and confident diver. Given this reality, IMHO it would be unwise to encourage your wife in doing a liveaboard.

For good land-based diving which also allows you to see some of the very interesting Galapagos topside features, you may wish to check out Condor http://www.condorjourneys-adventures.com/ecuador_galapagos_scuba2.asp

You're gonna love the Galapagos.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom