Galapagos Experience -what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver12345:
I thought about it. In fact the false information that was being spilt forth inspired me to sign up and post a reply. After more than a year of reading the forums. I have a great dislike for people that spout information that they can not back up by references. This is a sport were false info can kill.What they were saying was stated as a fact, not as a possible solution. Also a simple search on their part about Co2 build up or Ox tox on the DAN website would have given them a clue that those sysmptoms didnot pertain to their diagnoses.

... sure, but don't you want your opinion to be heard? If you take that tone, with noone here knowing you, your experience or your level of knowledge, you come of as a .... well as someone who's perhaps best ignored.

My $0.02.

Now back to the issue at hand.

diver12345:
I thought about it. In fact the false information that was being spilt forth inspired me to sign up and post a reply. After more than a year of reading the forums. I have a great dislike for people that spout information that they can not back up by references. This is a sport were false info can kill.What they were saying was stated as a fact, not as a possible solution. Also a simple search on their part about Co2 build up or Ox tox on the DAN website would have given them a clue that those sysmptoms didnot pertain to their diagnoses.

A great dislike for people because they are perhaps wrong about something they are saying shouldn't be a green light to bash them or talk down to them. Perhaps you could approach from a different angle and help someone to learn something that they could use as a future reference.

Secondly, we aren't always right when we think we are. Sometimes I read posts and think Bravo Sierra!!! and come to find out later that it was me who was mis-informed. You will learn alot from the people here at this site...you have to be willing to be sponge though.

Best way to go is throw all the facts and theories into a hat and eventually the correct info will come out throughout the course of the discussion.... I agree with the above post...if you take that tone from the get go...you'll be on an island of your own...:wink:

Divmstr223:
A great dislike for people because they are perhaps wrong about something they are saying shouldn't be a green light to bash them or talk down to them. Perhaps you could approach from a different angle and help someone to learn something that they could use as a future reference.

Secondly, we aren't always right when we think we are. Sometimes I read posts and think Bravo Sierra!!! and come to find out later that it was me who was mis-informed. You will learn alot from the people here at this site...you have to be willing to be sponge though.

Best way to go is throw all the facts and theories into a hat and eventually the correct info will come out throughout the course of the discussion.... I agree with the above post...if you take that tone from the get go...you'll be on an island of your own...:wink:
There were no facts provided by either of the posts.Just false information.It is concerning that no one else picked up on this.Instead you are worried about how I set things straight.

String:
Id say CO2 as well. Happens to me after hard work dives

I concur and agree that 15 characters is annoying. :wink:

I read the previous posts and I thought they sounded very reasonable to me. The point was that you might be prompting people to dismiss what you have to say because of the way you are delivering the messege. If you truley want to be helpful and share your knowledge...try a different approach.

Divmstr223:
I read the previous posts and I thought they sounded very reasonable to me. The point was that you might be prompting people to dismiss what you have to say because of the way you are delivering the messege. If you truley want to be helpful and share your knowledge...try a different approach.

Amen to that.I think the original problem may be the diver was "deep fried"(narc'ed)

I am of the opinion that 'dark narcs' are the combination of N2 and CO2 narcosis. CO2 is 300 times more narcotic than N2 and the original poster did mention that her buddy signaled her to get her breathing under control. I've been plenty narced many times but only a few times have experienced dark narcs with hard breathing.

Dark Narc's? State a source. Also where you found that Co2 is 300 times more narcotic.I know it is narcotic just questioning the 300 times.

Welcome to the board Diver12345.

If you have evr done a nitrox course you may remember the mnemonic conVENTID for the symptoms of oxygen toxicity.This stands for:
Convulsions
Visual Disturbances
Euphoria
Nausea
Twitching
Irritability
Dizziness

Convulsions and unconsciousness may be the first sign.Then again it may not.Just depends how lucky you are.

Read Caverns Measureless to man. "At about 440 feet I started having trouble with my distance vision,a little deeper and the tunnel vision began,a certain sign of oxygen toxicity."

Read the Wah Wah article http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/text/wahwah.txt
"As I was going up, passing 325 feet, I heard this noise
wah-wah-wah-wah-really loud. It really scared me. I didn't know what it was.
I could not see my hand on the cable. All I could see was my gauge.
Everything else was black."

So,IMHO the tunnel vision and twitching reported in the original post is quite consistant with oxygen toxicity. Could be lots of other things as well,but could be oxygen.

I have done many dives below 100 feet.I know how narcosis affects me and it has never caused tunnel vision.Have never had a CO2 problem either.So if I was at 100 feet and had visual problems and twitches I would assume it was an oxygen issue (possibly due to a mixing and analyzing error) and get the hell out of there.

Still wanna tear me a new one ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom