Galapagos & Cocos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jalber

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there,
I'm considering a trip to Galapagos next year, but apparently all liveaboards have been barred by the authorities.
Does anyone know what the land-based diving is like? Is it significantly inferior to Darwin & Wolf, the two remote islands that are supposed to be the most spectacular?
What are the chances of seeing humpbacks and whale sharks on a land-based trip?
Any info gratefully received.

I also looked at doing a liveaboard to Cocos, but the only two I can find (Okeanos Aggressor & Undersea Hunter) are booked up. Anyone know of any other Cocos liveabord options?

Any advice gratefully received!

Cheers,
James (London)

Hi there,
I'm considering a trip to Galapagos next year, but apparently all liveaboards have been barred by the authorities.
Does anyone know what the land-based diving is like? Is it significantly inferior to Darwin & Wolf, the two remote islands that are supposed to be the most spectacular?

I also looked at doing a liveaboard to Cocos, but the only two I can find (Okeanos Aggressor & Undersea Hunter) are booked up. Anyone know of any other Cocos liveabord options?

Cheers,
James (London)

1. Galapagos are South America, not Central America. You might want to search and post questions on that Forum.
2. Galapagos are 24-48 hour boat ride off the coast of Equador, you can't dive them from land-based op.
3. From what I understand, all boats are not forbidden from diving Galapagos, but some boats are not allowed to do Wolf and Darwin. Only the Aggressor and Peter Hughes are allowed to dive those islands, from last I heard. Other boats do dive in the Galapagos, just not those particular islands. That could all change though as the Equadorian gov't seems to change policies on a whim.
4. Cocos Islands are off Costa Rica and are also 24-48 hour boat ride so only a liveaboard can do them. The diving is comparable, according to many of my friends who have done both. The difference is that Galapagos has land tours to some of the islands to see the unique wildlife like the iguanas and tortoises and sea lions. Cocos are much more tropical rainforest.
5. Both Galapagos and Cocos trips are booked up at least a year in advance usually by dive shops booking the whole boat for the week, some dates (like summer with peak whale shark encounters, etc) are booked 2 years in advance. If you want to do either of them sooner, you need to find out what dive shops have booked them and try to join in on one of those trips.

hope this helps!

I am one of the people that bang the drum for land based Galapagos. Few divers from the US or Canada can be bothered, they have been so intensely marketed by the Liveaboards- they can see it no other way. In fact, more people dive the Galapagos land based than by liveaboard. Most of them were not raised speaking English, many Europeans, and it is a younger crowd, but I have always enjoyed their company!

I have done it both ways. Sure- if it's available and if you can afford it, I think everyone ought to dive it from a liveaboard, at least once. Darwin and Wolf can be spectacular, but remember it eats up 1.5 days of your trip, at sea in travel. I have seen all the same critters, not in the same quantity diving land based, but the same from either option. I have not seen a Whale in the Galapogos. Unfortunately, once people have a good experience on a liveaboard, they are unlikely to be swayed from it to land based. Too bad.

Land based has a lot of positives for it, but it is seemingly contrary to my standard droning mantra, "dive dive dive". It would be a shame to drag all the way to the Galloping Pogos and not spend a lot of time exploring the islands in detail- on a liveaboard you really will not be able to do this, on a cruise ship your diving will be limited severely. Very few destinations do I recommend anything other than "maximum diving", but Galapagos is similar to the Red Sea- better see the Pyramids, right?

Look at our trip report and note many of the cool things that were available. Every night, a different inexpensive restaurant, two very cool lava tunnel tours, the highlands where the turtles really live, the lava domes, the Darwin Research Station, the interesting town and all of the very legitimate art salons. Very few places that have great diving also offer these diversions.

It would be like going to New Zealand for snow skiing and not getting out of the mountains to see some of the island. Another, closer analogy: Most people only see and understand the wonderful diving of Tobago from the liveaboard. Boy- are they missing this natural haven's land based wonders. Same diving, but what a difference. Take Roatan. There is absolutely no need to do a Bay Islands liveaboard, unless it is being moved 200 miles in a week. Roatan is best seen from a land based dive op. There are a lot of reasons to move beyond the lowest common denominator experience, albeit the most expensive and best marketed... thus the "most popular and best known" to US and Canadian divers.

My favorite (by far) land based dive op there is Galapagos Diving Day Tours - Land based dive site

See a report at Doc 's Galapagos Trip 2002 (I promise to update it, but it is largely still on point)

You can also save 40 to 50+% of the overall trip costs, land based vs. liveaboard. Something to consider.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I myself prefer liveaboard for two very simple reasons: Darwin and Wolf. It is here that you will see dolphins, sharks and whalesharks in numbers that you will not see in the Central Islands. And the whalesharks here can be like buses in size. The water is warmer up here too. And if the liveaboard goes to Isabela (not always), that's a bonus because you might get to see mola-molas there.

Cheers,
James (London)

>>No true, unless something changed drastically overnight. There are 2 Aggressor boats, one Peter Hughes boat, the Deep Blue, and the Galapagos Explorer (using a different boat that is licensed) currently doing liveaboard trips in the Galapagos. There may be others, but these I know for sure. This may sound like a plug for a dive operator, but if you go to the Galapagos Adventures website, you will find a wealth of good and up to date info regarding what boats are out there.

>>Land-based will allow you to see just about everything that you will see on a liveaboard, as already explained by Roatan Man. Land-based is mostly in the Central islands, with maybe an occasional venture into the Southern Islands. I do not think that they do Isabela (Western) and definitely not the Northern Islands.

>>Whalesharks have been seen in the Central Islands, and I'm sure that the Humpbacks do cruise by. But for consistent whaleshark sightings, nothing beats Darwin and Wolf, especially Darwin.

>> There is also the Sea Hunter and the Argos, both part of the same Undersea Hunter group fleet.

Oops, failed to mention that you do not take a boat out to the Galapagos. There are daily flights out of Quito and Guayaquil, Ecuador to the Galapagos.

Roatanman, thanks so much for this informative and helpful reply. In fact, it confirms what I'd always thought about diving, that it's best to get the most out of the area, not just the diving. In fact, that's been my philosophy so far - and Belize, Indonesia and New Zealand have so much to offer besides.
My only concern was that I might miss out on a lot in such a location by being landbased. It sounds like the chances of seeing whale sharks are better at Darwin & Wold, but they can still be seen elsewhere, so I'll take the chance. And, as you say, it's a helluva lot cheaper.
Thanks for the site refrences - much appreciated.
Thanks also to Robint and Manuel Sam for your useful advice!

Galapagos sounds great!

What is diving and the weather like around July?

Would the place be very overrun...considering July is the peak of summer holidays for Europeans and North Americans?

I also looked into the diving the Galapagos at the end of July but the only things I could find are just diving and no island exploring? I would like to do both because I don't want to make two trips out there. The dive trip looked like 7 days of diving twice a day which is nice but I want to see whats on the land too. Are there any that divide it up?

If you want to go to Wolf and Darwin as well as doing land tours you should make sure the operators have land permits. I truly loved seeing the blue footed boobies and frigates and Lonesome George.

I'm going to Cocos in July and I know the Argo has openings. I believe the dates are 7/12 - 7/22. PM me if you want info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom