Gaitors ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick2

Reaction score
I've recently started to di ve with my Zeagle G.S., has built in rubber boots and self donning. I,m using ankle wght. (3# total). Problem is when I go head down after a lobster--it just laughs at me going away from him feet first!!!! Someone recommended trying gaitors, at input?:confused:

No gaitors... Lobsters need a regular comedian to visit them... Life is better with laughter (even when you are a lobster)!

Yes gaiters will help restrict airflow to the legs... so you can invert easier. Good luck... Can I get a photo of the lobster laughing?

Rick2:
I've recently started to di ve with my Zeagle G.S., has built in rubber boots and self donning. I,m using ankle wght. (3# total). Problem is when I go head

I suspect a drysuit is completely new to your diving, what occurred to you should not happen at all. I suspect you have too much air in the drysuit and this is one of the symptoms of that. The reason I suspect too much air in the drysuit is because you're going up feet first when you point your body down and second you're using ankle weights. Most likely your LDS put those on you when you got your endorsement for the drysuit, but it's really a means to let you build experience until you can get rid of it which will happen when you get a feel for the suit.

Unless, the suit is a poor fit and you have lots of material in the legs, i.e. your legs are dwarfed by the suit. In that case gaiters will help this problem. For me I use the feeling I get in the foot pocket and legs to more or less determine if I need to vent air or not, i.e. I feel how much squeeze there is and when I feel it getting to a certain point I know it's time to vent.

A large drysuit on a medium diver is asking for trouble in other words because you're always going to have more air in the legs than needed and gaiters are the only solution short of a proper fit.

I don't know which applies, but hopefully it gives you some thoughts.

Hi there Rick -

I think Matthew makes some good points - it sounds like too much air and/or a loose suit. Try diving with a comfortable amount of squeeze in your suit - especially if you are going to spend a lot of time inverted. Another tip - wear two pairs of thick socks to restrict air movement.

I had floaty feet for my first few dives in a drysuit - it takes a while to get use to them.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Gaiters work great with my drysuit. I would recommend them.

I have an ill fitting suit (too short in the torso and too wide in the ankles/feet) which dive rite EX90 gators helped immensely. I have since decided to eBay my DS and get one that fits.

If you are interested in gators, PM me.

http://www.diverite.com/NewProducts/Gaiter_EX940.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom