Gagging on Saltwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazy Fingers

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a bad problem with gagging when saltwater gets into my mouth. It seems like the more hydrated I am, the easier it is to deal with it. So I've started drinking water heavily a couple days before I know I'm going to go diving, and find the reflex reduced quite a bit. Starbursts in between dives seem to help too.

Just curious how many other people have this problem and what solutions they've found.

Sometimes I'll spew from inhaling saltwater. Usually, it's just a small single chunder and then I'm done. Pretty incidental, really. I just make sure that I don't do it while people are still in the water, trying to come up the ladder. That's not the way to "win friends and influence people." The post-dive bottle of water is a wonderful thing; either to keep it from happening in the first place, or for gargling and rinsing, if it does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom