Gabi Loco - Serious Medical Condition!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crgravitt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
IMG_1440.JPG 2/24/17 - For years Gabi Loco was a DM in Cozumel and he was involved in a recreational dive accident about 4 years ago. He managed to reach his buddy and very dear friend who was suffering narcosis at more than 300 feet but he got bent in the process. He is paralyzed from the chest down (T-2) and has had some ongoing medical issues. He gets frequent infections and in Dec he had a reaction to the antibiotic they gave him by IV. What he didn't realize at the time was that this was the body's warning.

He was treated again with the same drug last week and has developed what doctors in the US we're consulting with believe is Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. SJS is extremely serious and can be fatal. The skin cells die and if he were in the USA he would be in a burn unit. They don't have that in Cozumel but he is in the hospital and we are trying to get him the best possible care available, however.

Gabi and his wife Maria run a souvenir store in the plaza but he can't work now and Maria is with him at the hospital. HIs medical bills are growing quickly and if you are able to help him, even a few bucks, it will make an enormous difference. If you can't donate, please share this and please PRAY.

Gabi treats everyone like family - I know, without a doubt, if I asked him for help he would do it or die trying. It's the kind of man he is. He loves deeply and honestly and has managed to keep a good outlook despite all the challenges he's faced but this is different. He is worried and so are his family and friends.

His GoFundMe page is Click here to support Gabi Loco's Medical Expenses by Crystal Rollins Gravitt and Pam is reactivating the "Rally for Opal & Gabi & Heath's Recovery" page on FB so we can provide updates if you want to stay informed.

Gabi needs any help you can give him to beat this. Please donate, pray and share! Muchas gracias on behalf of Gabi and Maria!

I'm in. next?

OMG! I just saw him and Maria last night - he was actually going into the hospital for an appointment - I had no idea he was admitted. Thanks for this information!!! I will get in touch with Maria and see what I can do to help them here.

Thank you, Christi. They moved him to Centro de Salud tonight and he just got settled in. Maria is with him and he is able to get some sleep finally.

Last edited:
I am looking for a friend of Gabi Loco who is going to Cozumel in the next couple weeks. We are looking for someone who is willing to be a mule for Gabi and Maria. I want to order some essential that will be beneficial in his treatment. I would order the oils and have them shipped to a volunteer who will in return deliver the oils to Gabi and Maria.
Thank you.
You can PM me through Facebook or email.

Thoughts & prayers for Gabi & his family !

Funds sent! That smile was worth every penny! Best wishes from NYC!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom