GA Kayakers found dead in N. FLORIDA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive California

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just heard that two 14 year old boys were found dead in their kayaks in northern florida...anybody have additional information?

This is so very sad.
And so unnecessary.
This sort of thing truly angers me.
S

yes, so sad and unnecessary. poor kids.

Very sad indeed.........on the way back from Los Coronados on Sunday, the dive boat I was on recued a kayak dewd on his way to Alaska. Apparently the current was soo strong that he could not make it back to the bay.

Have to wonder about the lead or guide boat involved in this situation. I have led kayak trips in the Channel Islands and Sea of Cortez since the early 70's and we always maintain visual contact with all the kayakers. Generally we use at least two support boats- one in the lead and another in the rear.

Such a shame about the loss of life.

Dr. Bill

It just shows how simple fun adventures can quickly become dangerous and how important it is to follow safety procedures. Does any one know the water temperature where they died? My guess would be around 65 degrees. With out a wet suit and unable to get back in a kayak their chances for survival were very slim. It is so important to stay together as a group.

I remember spending hours looking for a couple of hikers as the sun was falling. There were 15 of us on a long hard hike. Although we were careful to stay together as a group during the challenging parts of the hike. When we got a mile from the car on a well marked trail we all took off, exhausted, at our own pace. Two of the members took a wrong turn and headed back into the wilderness of dangerous box canyons. One of them was slightly site impaired. After a head count at the car we realized we were two hikers short. We were all exhausted and barely able to pull of a search. We were lucky and found them after dark. It seems like, especially in kayaking, the slower and weaker and less experienced are left at the end of an ever lengthening line. Some times it is a good idea to let the weaker folks set the pace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom