GA and CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caveseeker7

Contributor
Reaction score
Every once in a while I pick up one of the flying magazines, whenever the cover or browsing reveal an aircraft or story that arouse my intrest.
So last night when I picked up the Oct. issue of 'Private Pilot' for two articles.
One about a ferry flight from Switzerland to Colorado in a single engine turbo prop. The second was about the conversion of a single engine to a turbo prop. As you can see, I like turboprops (mostly due to the high price of 747s :rolleyes: ).
Not only do they wear life suits on open water crossings ("various layers of warm clothing are worn under the suit that has a watertight latex collar and cuffs - ring any bells?), but author Sievert wrote this on the subject of electronics:
"The PC-12 .... is flown on autopilot most of the time, the pilot must be very vigilant. The instruments need to be scanned constantly and checked for plausibility."
Sounds almost like a quote from the IANTD textbook to me. :D

The 2nd nugget, from McCready on hot starts with the conversion:
"This is why you monitor the ITT gauge on startup. If it starts to exceed 750 degrees C, there is a problem and startup should be aborted. .... why wait for big trouble?"
Could be off a page of the Inspiration manual, it's a lot like pre-dive monitoring your handsets and calling the dive if there's something wrong. :rolleyes:

While I wonder if my single track mind is due to oxtox or the remnants of nitrogen saturation from the old days, maybe there is a PPL in my future after all ...

BJD69, you got your job cut out for you. Or your diving. :D

caveseeker7 once bubbled...
Every once in a while I pick up one of the flying magazines, whenever the cover or browsing reveal an aircraft or story that arouse my intrest.
So it was last night when I picked up the Oct. issue of 'Private Pilot' for two articles.
One about a ferry flight from Switzerland to Colorado in a single engine turbo prop. The second was about the conversion of a single engine to a turbo prop. As you can see, I like turboprops (mostly due to the high price of 747s :rolleyes: ).......

"The PC-12 .... is flown on autopilot most of the time, the pilot must be very vigilant. The instruments need to be scanned constantly and checked for plausibility."
Sounds almost like a quote from the IANTD textbook to me. :D

The 2nd nugget, from McCready on hot starts with the conversion:
"This is why you monitor the ITT gauge on startup. If it starts to exceed 750 degrees C, there is a problem and startup should be aborted. .... why wait for big trouble?"
Could be off a page of the Inspiration manual, it's a lot like pre-dive monitoring your handsets and calling the dive if there's something wrong. :rolleyes:

While I wonder if my single track mind is due to oxtox or the remnants of nitrogen saturation from the old days, maybe there is a PPL in my future after all ...

BJD69, you got your job cut out for you. Or your diving. :D

That story about flying from Switzerland to Colorado, single engine and presumably single pilot, makes my gluteous maximus start to hurt in sympathy! At least in the big airplanes we have more than one pilot and the chance to stretch once in a while!

As for the gauge checking, you are spot on about that Caveseeker! When I talk to people about CCR's I point out that the mind-set with using them has to be more of a pilot's mind-set!

If you teach yourself to be meticulous about the "pre-flight", monitor and cross-check your gauges in "flight", and religiously do your "post-flight", then diving with a CCR is as easy as diving OC. They are amazing diving machines, and if treated properly, lend a new dimension to diving!

And, yes, Caveseeker! Judging by your posts, you have a very good "mind-set" (or approach, if you will) to flying. That's more than half of the battle right there. There could be the whine of turboprops in your future if that's what you want.

Even after all of these years, I still love it when those big turbofans grumble into life at the start of a flight! :mrcool:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom