G9 Pictures From Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice! Thanks for posting your photos. Love the anemones!

What is the lag time on the G9 and how many photos can you pull out of a battery?

Time between shots was about 2 seconds in RAW, I think, not at all sure though - I had review set to 3 seconds and usually spent a couple seconds between shots thinking about what needed to be changed. I did envy some of the guys with D300s that could rapid fire though.

If you mean lag as in time between shutter press and picture, it was pretty instant in MF. Auto focus felt painfully slow. I'm sure you could test at best buy or something.

I usually changed out the battery after every dive, sometimes every other -- the Ike housing is pretty simple/solid and I wasn't too worried about having a leak. I took ~100 shots on every dive and never had any issues.

Thanks everyone for the compliments and suggestions :)

Great stuff, do you have a photo gallery we could check out (flikr, picasa etc.)

Thanks for posting

NH

Wow, really amazing pictures!!!

very very nice. Especially like clownfish No1. The O.Crab is also excellent. It is always difficult to get good focus on them so well done.
How is manual focus using the Ikelite? On the canon casing you have to press the buttons lots of times to get the focus distance down to 5-10 cm. Its a shame the custom settings cannot remember the focus distance for manual work.

Question for G9 users.
When you turn on the camera does the screen ever go black.
My 1st dive on this trip i did not take any photos as there was no display. Even toggling through the various display options no live preview was available. I have had this happen a few times before but it is normally solved by turning the camera on/off a few times. has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
Great stuff, do you have a photo gallery we could check out (flikr, picasa etc.)

Thanks for posting

NH

I have a flikr account under todd_bretl, but I've posted all but one of the pictures in this thread. Still going through a lot of my shots trying to find some more worth cleaning up.

Kevster:
very very nice. Especially like clownfish No1. The O.Crab is also excellent. It is always difficult to get good focus on them so well done.
How is manual focus using the Ikelite? On the canon casing you have to press the buttons lots of times to get the focus distance down to 5-10 cm. Its a shame the custom settings cannot remember the focus distance for manual work.

Question for G9 users.
When you turn on the camera does the screen ever go black.
My 1st dive on this trip i did not take any photos as there was no display. Even toggling through the various display options no live preview was available. I have had this happen a few times before but it is normally solved by turning the camera on/off a few times. has anyone else experienced this?

Theres a knob about 3/4" in diameter on the back of the housing that you twist to adjust manual focus. There is a little rubber/sticky pad at the other end of the knob (inside the housing) that catches on the twist dial for MF on the back of camera. More than once this pad fell off while adjusting MF underwater, making it impossible to do anything afterwards. I'd recommend pulling the pad off and reattaching it with something stronger, like super glue.

Not sure about the black screen :confused: If you hit the display button, one of the three or four cycles/options is an all black screen. Next cycle is live view with info, next live view with more info, etc. The only time I've ever seen a black screen was after pushing that button.

Lovely shots Todd. I like them all.

I think Kevster is referring to the power saving feature that turns off the display after a period of inactivity. To get the display back, just rotate the camera through 90 degrees to portrait and the display will come back on.

I will give it a try. The problem was at the start of the dive. I switch on at the start of the dive and there was no live preview. I toggled through the various display modes and still no view. Even switching to video or trying to take a photo resulted in no change. I switched off & on again and still nothing. It has happened several times before but normally switch on /off a few times the display comes back. I know the G9 reasonably well. i have the power down set at 4 mins. I will try the rotate 90 thing next time. thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom