G260 not holding tune

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Discovered something strange, I've been checking the cracking effort on my G260s recently and have noticed they are not holding tune.

I set my primary to 1" and back up to 1.2" but after a dive both have gone out of tune. The first time I noticed I wrote it off to some anomaly but it's happened the last 3 dives. I recheck and on both the cracking effort has increased substantially, from 1" up to around 1.8" and from 1.2" up to over 2"give or take.

The only thing I can think of is the micro adjuster is turning inside the adjustment knob? This would not be a good thing to discover, but before I go down that path was wondering if anyone else has noticed this or has any other ideas.

Any help, advice would by greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Hmm... I've encountered something similar with the Sea Hornet Command Air regs.
These use a punched puck style LP seat which I made from 70 Duro silicone rubber sheet.
The LP seat had simply settled a bit deeper into the silicone rubber seat over a couple of weeks, affecting the tune and cracking point.
Once re-adjusted they maintained the tune OK as the rubber seat did not compress any further.

I've dived these about 20 times so I don't "think" that's the issue.

(Do you know what you want yet?)

Yep, 20 or so dives it should be well 'set'...
Not yet, Mikron reg set should arrive tomorrow, will let you know asap after... hopefully just service kits and the lever tool :)

Discovered something strange, I've been checking the cracking effort on my G260s recently and have noticed they are not holding tune.

I set my primary to 1" and back up to 1.2" but after a dive both have gone out of tune. The first time I noticed I wrote it off to some anomaly but it's happened the last 3 dives. I recheck and on both the cracking effort has increased substantially, from 1" up to around 1.8" and from 1.2" up to over 2"give or take.

The only thing I can think of is the micro adjuster is turning inside the adjustment knob? This would not be a good thing to discover, but before I go down that path was wondering if anyone else has noticed this or has any other ideas.

Any help, advice would by greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Difficult to imagine that the micro adjuster could move inwards against the spring resistance......
You also could easily measure it.
Same adjuster screw position?
I would check the lever if something inhibits its movement, then check the LP seat groove if the depth of the groove 'looks' like 1,8 or 2,0inch/h2o.
I would breath from both 2nds to feel how hard it seems.
And I would check my Magnehelic!
I have never seen a 2nd get so far out of tune in only 20 dives, so I guess it's something simple....

Thank you sir, yes I've marked current position of micro adjuster so will keep a close eye on it. My magnehelic gives consistent readings with all my other regs so I'm pretty sure it's good. I'll check lever.

Thanks again.
Take care Thomas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom