G250HP Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is an o-ring (2-014 I believe) that seals the plastic parts to the metal parts. It is a sandwich of two metal parts that screw together capturing the plastic piston face that needs some type of seal. I have successfully disassembled and replaced the o-ring but it is not a SP procedure. The two metal parts are screwed together and you should be able to see a dot of red Loctite in a hole on the piston just above the shaft that has to be clean out to unscrew the two metal pieces. There is a flat on the one surface that can be gripped with a wrench and I believe I used an easy out through the top hole to grip the other piece.

The O-ring is visible in some cut-away drawings of the composite piston and left out of others. I guess it is like a family secret SP does not want to tell you about.

At the moment I have 2 deals offered to me (can't take either one till my check clears!)

1. MK25 + G250HP + Octo (needs to be serviced) - $270
2. MK25 + S600 + console (needs to be serviced) - $350

I am certain that my B2 will remain as my primary, and I will be using the MK25 as my primary first stage as well (my current first stage will be used as a back-up when I get it back)

Better bet is to secure a Mk20 with a G250 (plain G250). It's better than the G250HP, IMHO, easier to service, less parts, and more common.

My brother just picked up a set of Mk20/G250s for a doubles set, (2 first stages and two second stages), and it was like less than $300 for all of them. (Closer to $250 I think)

I agree and that's a really good deal for 2 MK20s and 2 G250s. The only caveat is if his MK20s have the brass-tipped piston, they're likely to creep eventually. If that's what he has, I would suggest looking for a good deal on two composite pistons; hopefully you can find them for $50 or so each. I would just replace them at the next rebuild. They're a lot more stable.

At the moment I have 2 deals offered to me (can't take either one till my check clears!)

I am certain that my B2 will remain as my primary, and I will be using the MK25 as my primary first stage as well (my current first stage will be used as a back-up when I get it back)

Fishpie has an overabundance of MK 10s in his collection. He has some for sale, and I can vouch first hand they are in excellent shape. MK10s and 5s are solid, high performance regulators that are easy to rebuild, easy to obtain parts for, and lots of us here can talk you through the rebuild process if needed. IMHO $50 toward one of these is money better spent than on a MK20/25 piston.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/classifieds-regulators/454887-scubapro-mk10-first-stages.html

I don't recommend mixing and matching firsts and seconds unless you are doing the servicing yourself. The regulators will work fine together and there is no safety issues but it becomes a pain if your LDS is not a dealer for both brands. You may move and dive stores do go out of business or may drop or get dropped by the manufacturer.

As far as the deals go I don't think either is very good. I recently purchased for around $250 from eBay a MK25/G250 with octo and console in mint (I don't think it was dived) condition that was serviced. If you want a console let me know.

Beaverdivers was offering a brand new Mk25/S600 for $400 w/o the console. I would call him and see if he can cut you a deal on something. Leisurepro sometimes runs deals at weird times of the night so check them out. I have seen them list a new MK-25 for $225.

I've rebuilt my mk25 and removed the o-ring to check it. You do need the tool to hold everything together to re-assemble, or you are going to go nuts looking for the third hand.

Fishpie has an overabundance of MK 10s in his collection. He has some for sale, and I can vouch first hand they are in excellent shape. MK10s and 5s are solid, high performance regulators that are easy to rebuild, easy to obtain parts for, and lots of us here can talk you through the rebuild process if needed. IMHO $50 toward one of these is money better spent than on a MK20/25 piston.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/classifieds-regulators/454887-scubapro-mk10-first-stages.html

Couv forgot to mention that you can get the service kit here:

If you don't mind a DIN regulator then this is not a bad deal. Dive Rite does sell parts to the end user.

Back
Top Bottom