G250 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gaudencio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I just bought a g250 MK25 REG HERE in our LDS. I read in the manual that the reg should be put on a pre-dive mode on the surface or if desending head first or in cases swimming against strong current. Th e reg should be put on min. ( a switch on the second stage). The reg can be switch on the max if under normal diving. My question is could this be damaging to my second stage if i constantly use this lever . Another question is, Because according to my friend who has a G250 which he bought 8 yrs ago. he said that he dos'nt tamper with the swithches or side knob that might easily damage the reg if done so frequently. Should I also loosen the knob of the reg during storage as the manual says.do you have any opinion on this? Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

My question is how often you dive in strong currents? If you don't dive that much in strong currents, I think everything will be OK. G250 is on of the most remarkable reg I have ever dove with.

gaudencio:
Hi,
I just bought a g250 MK25 REG HERE in our LDS. I read in the manual that the reg should be put on a pre-dive mode on the surface or if desending head first or in cases swimming against strong current. Th e reg should be put on min. ( a switch on the second stage). The reg can be switch on the max if under normal diving. My question is could this be damaging to my second stage if i constantly use this lever . Another question is, Because according to my friend who has a G250 which he bought 8 yrs ago. he said that he dos'nt tamper with the swithches or side knob that might easily damage the reg if done so frequently. Should I also loosen the knob of the reg during storage as the manual says.do you have any opinion on this? Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Hey Guadencio.... I wouldn't worry about that switch on your G250. I bought 3 G250's in the early 1990's and used them for over 500 dives, in all conditions, for 12 years. I dive with an H valve and with a pony. So one of the regs is for my primary reg on the main valve and has a 7 foot hose on it. The second reg goes on my H as a back up, and the third sits on my pony for emergencies and sometime prolonged deco stops. They've been in ripping currents like New Drop Off Corner and Blue Corner in Paulau, been in caves, been in surf, been inside wrecks at 215 feet and been in still lakes. I leave the switches in the Max positions at all times, and never fuss with them. If you leave the side knob tightened down, then two things will happen: first, when the 2nd stages hit the water, they will free flow unless the mouthpiece is in your mouth; second, if stored with the knob turned down maximally the low pressure seats will develop an indentation and will shorten the time between manditory services, i.e., leaks will develop. So store the G250 with the switch at max, and the flow wheel turned out as high toward max as it will go. But never apply forceful pressure while turning the post. When you get ready to jump from the boat or walk into the water, turn the control knob down to its lowest setting -- that way it won't free flow while you're at the surface waiting for others or fiddling with your other equipment. After your descend about 20 feet, open the control knob all the way and enjoy your dive. At the end of the dive at the surface, I usually have to turn the control knob back down so that the reg doesn't free flow when out of my mouth. Don't worry about wearing out the controls or damaging the switch or knob -- can't happen unless you try to twist them with force. They're made to last. The G250 is a solid piece of equipment, extremely reliable, and I consider them to be workhorses. I've now retired all three regs from my main diving. I still use them for stage bottles. All three of my G250's were on MK 10 first stages, and these MK 10's are aging now. The G250 with the MK 25 is a fine regulator. If you clean it well after each dive, never submerge the 1st stage unpressurized (even to wash it), store it in a reasonably safe environment (regulator bag, etc.), and do the annual maintenence on it, it will serve you well under just about any conditions, currents, or dive techniques that you can throw at it. Hope this helps.... Doc

Doc pretty much says it all.

The flow vane adjustment switch is not going to wear out with use. The amount of wear and movement on the o-rings is minimal and even if you worked it constantly back and forth thoughout each and every dive, about all you would need would be a couple new o-rings at the next annual service.

I will restate also that you should store the regulator with the adjustment knob backed all the way out to reduce the pressure of the low pressure seat against the orifice. To a large extent you can compensate for any leak that develops due to excesssive engraving of the LP seat. But leaving the knob turned in eventually affects the minimum cracking effort that the reg can deliver and servicing becomes neccesary sooner.

Ditto on Doc's and DA's posts. Store the reg with the adjustment knob loosed to relieve pressure from the mechanism. I do this and have been using my G250 since the early 1990's.

Paula

I just bought the same set-up and will dive it for the first time next week. Thanks for the helpful info everyone. Good stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom