G250 Crystal and MK20 Ultra Lite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ferociousfish

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just looking for some thoughts on regs. I have couple G250 Crystal regs paired with MK20 UL. I've read bad things about the MK20 Ultra Light's and I'm considering getting a couple MK10's to replace them. Can anyone provide some insight?
Thanks

Yeah that's what I've heard. Too bad, but I guess I'll switch. Thanks for your input!

I'm considering getting a couple MK10's to replace them. Can anyone provide some insight?
Thanks

I have several MK10s, I like them alot. They're probably about the best deal in used SP 1st stages, as it's getting tougher to find excellent condition late model MK5s. Another great 1st stage is the MK15; it's a little closer to what you have, without the issues of the UL design. The MK15 was a bit of a transitional 1st stage, and when they first came out there were big problems with the seat and seat carrier. Those were all replaced under a recall, so you never see used ones that have not been upgraded.

The advantages of the MK15 are that will go longer between rebuilds and it's better for HP tanks due to the bushing system on the HP piston o-ring. I last rebuilt mine about 5 years ago, and it's still holding IP perfectly, although I don't use it that often. It does take a couple of specialized tools to rebuild and it's seat is unique. (No other 1st stage uses it) But, as long as you have someone to work on it that is familiar with them, it's a really good choice.

That's what I'm looking for, a similar layout with swivel and 5 LP ports. I was thinking the MK10 would be a good easy to find option but possibly the MK15 too. Which would be better for cold water?

Just looking for some thoughts on regs. I have couple G250 Crystal regs paired with MK20 UL. I've read bad things about the MK20 Ultra Light's and I'm considering getting a couple MK10's to replace them. Can anyone provide some insight?
Thanks
The MK20 Ultra lites are excellent for travel. If you are looking for the best cold water ( below 4 degrees C ) 1st stage, then go w/ the Scubapro MK17.

I have a few MK10s for sale. PM me if you are interested.

That's what I'm looking for, a similar layout with swivel and 5 LP ports. I was thinking the MK10 would be a good easy to find option but possibly the MK15 too. Which would be better for cold water?
Cold water as in Vancouver Lower Mainland cold water? I have been diving these waters with Mk10s and G250 graphites since Jan 2008 for at least once a month every single month of the year. I've dove them in every temperature range that you will find in these waters. I've taken them down to 290 ft. And I have never packed grease or christolube in the ambient pressure chamber to make them "cold-water-compliant". I have never had any problems or freeze ups.

You might hear that Mk25s will deliver more gas than Mk10s, but I have never been able to outbreath a Mk10 at any depth. For me they are as good as I need them to be. And they are very easy to service with few parts that are readily and cheaply available. I use them with mixes that will have as much as 70% helium or as much as 100% oxygen. They never balk at any task I have thrown at them. I can't see you going wrong if decide to go the Mk10 way.

---------- Post added September 16th, 2013 at 12:41 PM ----------

I have a few MK10s for sale. PM me if you are interested.
Had I known that a few weeks ago, brother couv, I would not have engaged in an ebay bidding war for a Mk10 incorrectly advertised as a Mk5. The good thing is that it did turn out to be a Mk10 in good to excellent condition where it matters on the inside. Outside chrome was a little scruffed, but that is just cosmetic.

ferocious, if you use DIN valves, yoke Mk10s are really easy to convert to din. Just get one of this kits and be sure to torque them to specifications: Scuba Pro "300 bar" (4350 psi) DIN Conversion Kit for MK16, MK18, MK20 & MK25 | LeisurePro

Cold water as in Vancouver Lower Mainland cold water?
Yup exactly! I also like the sound of easy to service with readily available parts. I guess I'll be pairing my G250's to MK10's and maybe keeping the two MK20 UltraLight's for travel.

Back
Top Bottom