G11 manual WB set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie59

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for some advice on how to set up G11 to have one or two button manual white balance in for ikelite housing.

Looking for some advice on how to set up G11 to have one or two button manual white balance in for ikelite housing.

Don't worry about it! Shoot in RAW format on auto WB and modify your pictures to suit in Lightroom after. Saves a lot of time and effort.

Peter

This is one of those... "well, it depends" issues.

If you shoot any video... or if you are not using strobes.. then using white balance will be sort of necessary, if you are in non-blue water, or very deep.

If you are using strobes...then don't. Most strobes I have seen are a bit warmer than the cannon built-in strobe, so having enough red is not an issue, having too much is.

I suggest getting a white card, and putting it at the distance you normally shoot images from and take an image with it in it (don't put it a foot away and do it, unless you are shooting from a foot away).

Then, when you process the prints, adjust the color back to where the card is the correct white.

I dive a lot in green water, but also have mostly white sand bottom... so if I do a video, can just point at the bottom 10 or so ft away, and push manual white balance...produces amazingly good images.

Thanks for the advice. I am not used to using raw format but thought that would likely be easier for shooting pics that are too far for strobe work. Just upgraded from olympus sp-350 and didn't use raw because it used too much space and was slow to process. Will give raw a shot.

Any advice for a mode to shoot standard non-strobe shots?

Thanks again

Definitely go get a WhiBal gray card... I used a white dive slate for years, but i recently got the gray card and the difference is very noticeable!
I go for the easy option... aiming to get fairly good shots out of the camera...So for all ambient light shots, i've set the Manual White Balance.
Set the Shortcut Button to Custom White Balance if you haven't done so already... Then it one push pointing the camera as the gray card slate and it'll sample it. Then that's good for that depth +/- a few meters.
The 2 Custom settings on the mode dial are a god send! I set up C1 for these ambient light shots, so it's set custom white balance, flash off and in P mode (i really, really need to play with Av, Tv instead, i know... i'll stop using P i promise!)
I don't have a strobe... I wish i could afford one and could carry it too!
C2 is then set up for macro... So it's set up in P again (yes i know!) with Macro set, Flash forced on and just using the Fish White Balance (works fine with flash).
So that set up means you have only two settings to switch between for almost all shots... Then when you hit the surface, just change the dial to P, Av, etc to get back to normal surface photos... And yes, Positive Film, in My Colours rocks up there!

Definitely go get a WhiBal gray card... I used a white dive slate for years, but i recently got the gray card and the difference is very noticeable!
I go for the easy option... aiming to get fairly good shots out of the camera...So for all ambient light shots, i've set the Manual White Balance.
Set the Shortcut Button to Custom White Balance if you haven't done so already... Then it one push pointing the camera as the gray card slate and it'll sample it. Then that's good for that depth +/- a few meters.
The 2 Custom settings on the mode dial are a god send! I set up C1 for these ambient light shots, so it's set custom white balance, flash off and in P mode (i really, really need to play with Av, Tv instead, i know... i'll stop using P i promise!)
I don't have a strobe... I wish i could afford one and could carry it too!
C2 is then set up for macro... So it's set up in P again (yes i know!) with Macro set, Flash forced on and just using the Fish White Balance (works fine with flash).
So that set up means you have only two settings to switch between for almost all shots... Then when you hit the surface, just change the dial to P, Av, etc to get back to normal surface photos... And yes, Positive Film, in My Colours rocks up there!

grey card? how bout a grey steel tank?

grey card? how bout a grey steel tank?
If it's 18% gray, go for it :-D
There's more to gray cards than i realised... But the WhiBal fits all the needs of us divers... Mainly that is isn't actually made of card! But plastic instead :)

kinda small, does that work from few feet away?

The G6 Studio size is the one to go for... about A5 size, so it fill the sampling rectangle, even at arms length...

Yeah, the little one is just a bit too ickle for diving.

These can also be used by taking a photo of it and doing the white balance thing in PS afterwards...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom