g-shock watches...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked at this watch, a few things stood out. First it is only rated to 50m, and second it updates the depth every 5 seconds.

With that said the price is right for a UW timer with a big display.

I would like to know if the band can easily be replaced? O r converted to a bungee or elastic strap?

The problem with most "Dive" watches is the standard bands will not fit over any suits heavier than 3mm.

thanks

mike

mwilding once bubbled...
I just ordered a Timex Helix D M watch for ~$60 new on eBay. It's a digital watch for divers in that it senses when you are underwater and starts a timer. It also measures depth and temperature.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2660185194&category=31387

It's not the end all / be all of dive watches, but the price is right and it will make a great backup once I get a computer.

WVMike - there have been 1 or 2 threads here about it's band which as you seem to have guessed does not fit over a wetsuit. I can, however, be replaced easily.

I've got a fairly old G-Shock model that does double duty as my dive watch (mainly for timing safety stops). I've long since lost the instruction booklet, so don't know if it had the "don't use buttons underwater" warning or not, but I can say that it's worked fine (buttons included) for me so far. Can't say the same for my Timex DataLink (it may take a licking, but it sure didn't take a surface swim out in Hawaii).

joele once bubbled...
i just got my new g-shock...
nothing fancy, though...
it has a timer, a light, etc. nothing extraordinary...
i have yet to use it while diving...

and btw, the instruction guide states to refrain from using the buttons underwater...
how can i use the timer underwater, then?
can anybody please explain this to me?
thanks...

I use the Casio G-shock Solar Atomic Watch.

Taken from the users manual:

Only a watch with a rating of 200m or 300m is suitable for use on SCUBA. Among the stated reasons are while the watch may hold up against the static pressure of depth, the dynamic pressure caused by the movement through the water may be greatly in excess of the rating. It also expressly states that you should not operate buttons underwater of any watch with less than this rating.

This has been an expensive lesson, no where do these susposed depth rated watches tell you this, till you buy them, and read the very fine print in the manual. Usually just tells you not to use the buttons.

I think this is a rip, if a watch is rated to whatever depth, it should be fully functional at that depth. Just ranting.

Cave Diver once bubbled...

Taken from the users manual:

Only a watch with a rating of 200m or 300m is suitable for use on SCUBA. Among the stated reasons are while the watch may hold up against the static pressure of depth, the dynamic pressure caused by the movement through the water may be greatly in excess of the rating. It also expressly states that you should not operate buttons underwater of any watch with less than this rating.
:doctor:

A few questions

1. The time digits look to be a pretty good size, when you go into stop watch mode, are the stop watch digits the same size as those shown in picture for time or are they tiny little things replacing the date or something else? Another of my watch rants!

2. How long will it maintain time without being exposed to light?

3. Is the band easily replaced, what kind of band do you use? Yet another dive watch rant, why dont dive watches fit over exposure suits?

It looks like a nice watch, thanks for the info

mike

Cave Diver once bubbled...

I use the Casio G-shock Solar Atomic Watch.

mwilding once bubbled...
WVMike - there have been 1 or 2 threads here about it's band which as you seem to have guessed does not fit over a wetsuit. I can, however, be replaced easily.

I bought my Timex Helix DM about a month ago and it seems they (Timex) have listened to their customers and changed the band because mine came with a nice long strap that easily fits over my wetsuit. I use the watch as a backup for my Suunto Cobra.

SDDiver

Although somewhat off topic, I have a $10.00 Wal Mart Aquatech that has held up well during my training and subsequent quarry dives. Push the buttons underwater all the time. Claims to be good to 165 feet (I'll just have to trust them on that one).

It's the same one under Rodale's (yea I already know - but it was recommended by accident) gear watch picks - has a picture of it too.

Harbour

i've read that articles from rodale's too, harbour...
and very cheap...

and btw, welcome to the board!!!

joel e

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom