G-10 question - newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

browntrout

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just purchased a G-10 and Ikelite case. I'm reasonably proficient on land, but I've never taken an underwater photo. I don't a strobe yet.

The first trip out with it will be only snorkeling pictures and video in early June. Would it be reccomended to add a filter before the trip? Also should I even consider any other strobes or just get the Ikelite DS251 kit when I can afford it?

I've been using my G10 over a year now without a strobe in Canon's WP-DC28 housing. I must say I've taken quite good and better photos macro and wide (using Fantase Big Eye) after logging some 90 dives in a year's time and flooding once after making a backroll entry with the camera. Now I am looking for a strobe and considering the Intova ISS2000 after contemplating on the Sea and Sea YS01 and Inon S2000. I also have the magic filter for a while but now going to simple manual white balancing. Also will soon get a closeup lens with the strobe. Enjoy.

As Prandyulo suggested, I would forget the filter and just use white balancing. Personally I white balance in post, but either way works fine. For snorkeling I wouldn't worry about getting a strobe just yet, but once you start using this rig on scuba I would highly suggest it. If your going to use the internal strobe with your Ike/G10, make sure to use the diffuser. Currently I use a Ike DS-51 strobe with a Fantasea 44 LED light on my Ikelite/G10 setup. The Fantasea light doubles as both a focus light and a video light. I don't shoot wide angle so the DS-51 has plenty of coverage. Originally I purchased the DS-51 over other non-Ikelite brand strobes to take advantage of the TTL bulkhead built into the Ike case. Now that I have experience with the system I don't even use the TTL function, only manual adjustments. Many on this board suggest INON products but as they recently pulled out their US branch, I'm unsure how easy warranty repair would be on them. A few of the shots taken with my Ike/G10 setup can be seen in my photo section.

I don't believe a red filter is viable in very shallow water such as you normally encounter snorkeling.

I don't use Ike cases, so cannot make a good strobe suggestion to you. I have been pleased with Inon strobes, but they may not be the best choice with your Ike housing

Here some resources I would encourage you to explore:

Underwater Photography Guide

The Underwater Photographer, 4th edition by Martin Edge

Digital Strobe Finder: Underwater Strobe Comparison Guide - Digital Diver Network

I notice you have relatively few dives "under your belt." It can be a bit task intensive to do photography while maintaining good trim and buddy skills, so be careful of this. You may struggle with this a bit, then again, you may not.

You don't want to be one of those dive photographers everyone hates...The ones who bump into things and people, grab the reef, fin the corals, etc.

I hope my comments don't offend...I am not making any judgments about you or trying to sound like the scuba police.

Best of luck to you with the photography, and please post some pictures from time to time.

Personally, I would go with an Ikelite strobe. I have photographed with and without ttl and it is much easier to use the ttl. The ttl decreases the number of photos needed for a good shot and you will be able to work more on focus and framing.

You already paid more for a case that offers that function so I would use it.

You already paid more for a case that offers that function so I would use it.

This was the main reason why I opted for the DS-51 over other better preforming strobes in its price range. One thing to note is that you won't be able to use the TTL function when shooting in manual. Also, I found the TTL to be sometimes erratic where it would greatly over or under expose my subjects. After a few dives you'll learn how much power to use for a given shot, so TTL almost becomes useless. Still though, for someone early in their diving and even greener in their underwater photography, TTL is a good function which allows the photographer to spend time on focus and framing "like you said".

Last edited:
I'm not sure that shooting in manual is the be all and end all when using a point and shoot. Using apeture priority (Av) is a perfectly acceptable way to shoot the majority of flash shots. The fixed f-stop works for all but the most fast moving fish.

Having taken photos both ways, I prefer the ttl.

examples of photos at http://picasaweb.google.com/rcperk2 the photos from hawaii and cozumel 2010 are with ttl on G11 and ikelite ds-160

I shoot with the inon s2000.... great strobe, easy to use sttl with the fo cable taped to my canon housing. If you wind up doing a lot of traveling outside the states to dive (99% of my diving) you will appreciate how compact it is.

NEW ISSUE...over exposure! got a G10 in a Fisheye housing with S%S YS110 strobe set to TTL. All of a sudden everything is 2 stops light. How does one adjust the light output of the strobe while in TTL mode?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom