FYI - renewal without enough Sea time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morejanus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just went through this process and didn't find anything about the details in the Forum or elsewhere so thought that others might like to know what to expect.

Due to some "economic changes", I was off the water for a few years and just got back on a boat last year. My 100 ton expired in Dec 2011 so it was again time to renew, but this time I didn't have the required 360 days. A review of the USCG website said the other options were either "pass a comprehensive open book exercise covering the general subject matter", or "complete an approved refresher training course".

Well, the school in my area didn't offer a refresher class (but after I asked thought it was a good idea!) and so it was the exam. I'm all for reviewing the rules of the road since there are so many that I never use in my area. What I remembered about the original tests long ago were though that there was what mortals thought was the right answer and then there was what the coast guard thought was the right answer. And you needed to know the latter, not the former. And what happens if you fail the test? Do you have to start again from scratch?

I submitted all my paperwork to my REC and paid the extra $45 examination fee. Shortly afterwards, I received a packet in the mail with a letter, a 30 question Rules of the Road test, and a 20 question Deck General test, and answer sheets.

Here's the excerpt from the letter that gives the details.
"You may use any reference material to complete the examination. A grade of 90% is required to pass each module. Answer sheets and examinations must be returned to the REC".

"Once you receive your examinations, you have a total of three (3) months from the date of this letter to complete the exam cycle (this includes 2nd and 3rd attempts.)"
Retest Policy:
a) If after your first attempt, you do not receive a passing score (90%) you will be sent a new examination(s) for a re-test, (provided you are still within the three (2) month test cycle). If you do not receive a passing score on your second attempt, you will receive a third and final examination(s), (provided you are still within the three(3) month test cycle).

b) For unlimited licenses, if you do not successfully complete all parts of the examination during the three (3) month period from the date the open book exam was sent, a complete re-examination must be taken no sooner than (3) months from the date of the last retest, and a new examination fee is required.

c) All other examinations: if you do not successfully complete all parts of the examination during a (3) month period from the date open book exam sent, a complete re-examination must be taken no sooner than 2 months from the date of the last retest, and a new examination fee is required.

d) All testing including retesting must be completed within the original National Maritime Center approval period of 1 year. The above applies to the administration of the exams and does not reduce or extend the original 1 year approval period.

So it was good to know that you at least got more than one chance if you messed up. The testing organization I talked also told me that the CG has cleaned up a lot of their questions so that there are much fewer "multiple answer" ones. And they weren't too bad actually. I got a good laugh out of the fact that the Deck General exam had both a question on the best way to uncoil manila rope, (manila who?), as well as the purpose of an AIS system. So they embrace the past and the future :)

Oh, and also, if you google the keywords on some of the questions, you'll find that there is at least one site that has pretty much all the questions with the "USCG right" answer listed. So you can double check your work if you need to :)

HTH someone,
Janice

Glad it worked out.

At least they didn't ask you about hemp rope. I'm old enough that we did use manila for some purposes, especially if we couldn't afford better.

I find the open-book exam is useful, it makes me get into the NavRules book and I learn or remember some interesting stuff. Am surprised on the General test that they don't seem to give any plotting or TVMDC stuff.

I thought I replied to your post but maybe I messed it up . . . anyway,...

Nothing in your post is new about the rules. The Coast Guard has been doing this for several years. I taught these classes for a while and it's unfortunate that the license mills turn out so many "captains" who don't understand enough of the material to breeze through the tests. The questions are all legit these days and they haven't tossed many new ones in recently, but the trick is that you have to read them very carefully and then really understand the material.

In defense of the schools, they really can not teach all the material in the time allotted. You can not learn coastal plotting in 3 or 4 days if you have no background and weak math skills (and let's face it, we're not a nation of math skills).

I would also point out that the guidelines you quoted, while I know they are what you were sent, are also a little flexible. If you need a few more days past the 90 days they are allowed to cut you a little slack in timing, especially if you're work schedule offshore keeps you away during the last weeks of the period. Don't be afraid to ask the REC people for something like that.

They used to have the question pool available online until someone came to their senses and took it down. BUT, if you need a peek I have a copy from right before they took them down. PM me if you need.

Good luck, and study hard!

-dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom