FYI for dog owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MtnDiver:
It has nothing to do with the breed of dog, only how they are raised/trained.
I guess you misunderstood me, or I did not make myself clear, that is exactly what I meant. I have a few good friends with the nicest Pitbulls you ever met. They have had Pits, for the over 25 years I've know them, all nice dogs.

dlndavid:
I guess you misunderstood me, or I did not make myself clear, that is exactly what I meant. I have a few good friends with the nicest Pitbulls you ever met. They have had Pits, for the over 25 years I've know them, all nice dogs.

I have been told Petey probably is a Lab/Pit mix. The attached is a picture of him with my brother and nephew from the first day I got him from the rescue group. In all fairness, I should disclose that he since attacked the couch they were sitting on and fully dismantled another one in the basement (other pic). Boredom kills couches.

Must be part Pit, my Lab, when left alone for too long would poop all over the house. :D

Doesn't anyone teach their dogs to walk properly under verbal command without a lead anymore? What's with all this city talk of "you shouldn't have a dog that isn't on a lead"?

The attacks are the result of poor training.

This is just one more example of "punish people because they can do something wrong" as opposed to "punish people because they HAVE done something wrong".

[Donning flame proof gear...]

Atticus:
Doesn't anyone teach their dogs to walk properly under verbal command without a lead anymore? What's with all this city talk of "you shouldn't have a dog that isn't on a lead"?

This is just one more example of "punish people because they can do something wrong" as opposed to "punish people because they HAVE done something wrong".

:06:

Atticus:

Hey now… I live smack dab in the middle of the city, and I don't walk my dog with a leash! It took a while (a LONG while), since he had to see what it felt like to get (gently) hit by a car to learn to avoid them. Now Latke (Bernese Mountain Dog) walks by my side to the park and back, along with sitting, staying, down-ing, and all the nifty dog tricks. He's so talented, he can even eat all the tasty indian food on the table, find a way to get into the cabinets to get the cheese-its, park himself right in the middle of everything to cause a chaos, and poop on the floor! All without you even saying a word!

Atticus:

The dog wasn't out for a walk, he was in his front yard unchained. He saw us approaching from several houses down the street and got territorial. He didn't charge up growling or anything like that. He just walked up and then bit my dog. Some breeds are a lot more protective of their owners property than others. That's why they make good guard dogs. And, if you read the original post, the owner has a documented history of letting his dog roam free and attacking others. Hardly an example "punish people because they can do something wrong" as opposed to "punish people because they HAVE done something wrong".

If the dog has attacked others before and was left to "roam the neighborhood" then this person is clearly in the wrong. I didn't mean to imply that this is acceptable behavior.

It sounded like the thread was going in the direction of "dogs should be on leads at all times" which I am opposed to.

Best Regards,
Merlin Rhoda

ClevelandDiver:
The dog wasn't out for a walk, he was in his front yard unchained. He saw us approaching from several houses down the street and got territorial. He didn't charge up growling or anything like that. He just walked up and then bit my dog. Some breeds are a lot more protective of their owners property than others. That's why they make good guard dogs. And, if you read the original post, the owner has a documented history of letting his dog roam free and attacking others. Hardly an example "punish people because they can do something wrong" as opposed to "punish people because they HAVE done something wrong".

Atticus:
If the dog has attacked others before and was left to "roam the neighborhood" then this person is clearly in the wrong. I didn't mean to imply that this is acceptable behavior.

It sounded like the thread was going in the direction of "dogs should be on leads at all times" which I am opposed to.

Best Regards,
Merlin Rhoda

I have no desire to force a well trained dog onto a lead. The point I was trying to make is that often attacks without injury go unreported and they could lead to a serious injury in the future that could have been prevented, which makes it more difficult for animal control to do their job.

ClevelandDiver:
Atticus, who I completely agree with, and you aren't so far away.
You punished the person that did something wrong, which was the right thing to do.
Nevertheless, posts like OffTheWall (no offense) made reflect the whole problem. He has a troubled dog because of bad history but instead of working on it and trying to socialize the dog, which is possible through hard work, he expects everyone to have their dogs on the leash.
Let me tell you that about 70% of all dogs that are being euthanised in North America are put down because of behavioural problems and these problems are to 95% home made because of mistakes made during the upbringing.
The biggest mistake done is: not to socialize your puppy from the beginning or missing to do so with older adopted pets.
All these dumb laws that outlaw dogs are unfortunately made by ignorant and clueless politicians who got into the media frenzy in order to score on elections because it than appears as if they are doing something productive. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom