FYI for dog owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClevelandDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last night Petey (see avatar) and I were enjoying a leisurely stroll down the street when a large untethered mastiff calmly trotted up the sidewalk and bit Petey. A minor scuffle ensued and the mastiff owner ran over and was able to bring his dog under control. Petey did not appear to be injured and we continued our walk. Although upset, my initial inclination was to let it go and not report the attack. After further consideration I decided it would be irresponsible to just let it be and called the local animal control department. Turns out this owner has a history of not restraining his large aggressive unneutered dog. It could have turned out a lot worse and hopefully my reporting it will get this irresponsible owner's attention and stop any future attacks. The animal control officer told me that lack of reporting is one the biggest problems they have in situations like this and that a lot of serious injuries could have been avoided if people had reported earlier acts of aggression that did not result in injury. If someone's dog attacks or harasses you or your dog, make sure to report it so animal control can build a case against repeat offenders. I don't blame the dog, just his idiot owner.

awww, i hate when that kinda thing happens!
A few years ago i was walking my family of red setters (3 of em!) the two pups were on the lead and the other one was just walking beside me(also on a leash) and we walked by a house with a sheepdog and the sheepdog went for one of the pups, well before I knew it the oldest setter leaped to action and literally headbutt the attacking dog, knocking him to the ground!
It was cool!

But I agree, not a bad idea to report the other dogs owner!

Dave

ScubaFreak:
A few years ago i was walking my family of red setters (3 of em!) the two pups were on the lead and the other one was just walking beside me(also on a leash) and we walked by a house with a sheepdog and the sheepdog went for one of the pups, well before I knew it the oldest setter leaped to action and literally headbutt the attacking dog, knocking him to the ground!
It was cool!

Dave

The headbutt sounds like some good street justice!!

I was unsure as to whether or not to let the leash go to give him a fighting chance, or hold and try to fend off the other dog. I ended up pulling the leash tight and kicking the other dog. My boy couldn't bite back and was very vunerable until the idiot tackled his dog. Petey seemed more pissed off than anything else, he started barking at the dog after it was pinned by his owner in a weird way kind of like "Dude, what the heck was that for?".

Yes petey does look like everyones friend!
why would anyone start up with me? I'm everyones friend :D

It really bothers me to see dogs running wild like that. I have three two Huskies and on that looks very much like Petey, only her name is Lily (maybe we should introduce them :wink: ). I have them in a fence and keep them there unless they are on leash. It is just to easy to get run over or into trouble without the assurance of a good fence. People need to be more responsible. I think you did the right thing, I know it feels bad, but people will not change without nudging.

P.S. Tell Petey I hope he feels better. I need to teach my pups the headbutt, accept I think they would use it on me.

Mrs.Prages:
It really bothers me to see dogs running wild like that. I have three two Huskies and on that looks very much like Petey, only her name is Lily (maybe we should introduce them :wink: ). I have them in a fence and keep them there unless they are on leash. It is just to easy to get run over or into trouble without the assurance of a good fence. People need to be more responsible. I think you did the right thing, I know it feels bad, but people will not change without nudging.

I would introduce them, but Petey has a girlfriend at daycare (Rosie the greyhound) who is a rescue dog they are trying to get me to adopt. He licks her face everytime he sees her and gets jealous if she plays with other dogs. I am considering a sleep over to see how well they get along at home.... God help me.

ScubaFreak:
It was cool!

Dave
Would those be Irish Setters? :wink: And why were you on a leash? :06:
But seriously, we have a saying around here "it's not Pit Bulls we don't like, it's their owners" Pit Bulls are out of control in many places in California, and if brought up to be mean, can be one nasty, lethal dog.

dlndavid:
Would those be Irish Setters? :wink: And why were you on a leash? :06:
But seriously, we have a saying around here "it's not Pit Bulls we don't like, it's their owners" Pit Bulls are out of control in many places in California, and if brought up to be mean, can be one nasty, lethal dog.

They would be irish setters, and well, I just have a thing for leases :D

but your right on the pit bull comment, they've become less and less common. I firmly believe regardless of the breed of dog, it's all about how the dog is rared by the owner that determines the true temprement of the dog!

dave

I agree all dogs should be on a leash!
I rescued my dog, before that she spent her first 18 months in the wild. She will hunt anything, I have seen her catch and eat rabbits and birds. Anyway she does not like other dogs that come around me or my family, a protection thing. She will fight any dog any time and apeared to be winning before I have been able to brake them up. I walk her around the hood and some people let their dogs out w/o leashes and the dogs come up to her and she will fight them. It is hard to get them to stop fighting when the other dog does not have leash and the ouner is nowhere around. One time it was so hard to stop the fight I just let it go and the other dog linped home after a beating.

In MD it is illegal to have a dog off a leash but people do it all the time. I figured after the dog came home beat up maybe the owner would tie it up!

Nope week later dog running around free again, but now it won't aproach my dog.

dlndavid:

Yeah, but the opposite is also true. I know a Pit Bull here in Colorado that is a registered therapy dog. It has nothing to do with the breed of dog, only how they are raised/trained.

Too many places are outlawing specific breeds of dogs because of a few irresponsible owners. For instance, Pit Bulls are now illegal to own within or even tansport through the city of Denver. In fact in order to bring them into the city for dog shows or to even travel through the city, the owners have to get a permit. Being caught even transporting a Pit Bull through Denver without a permit will be enough for the city to sieze the dog, impound it, and euthanize it.

You can read the law at www.municode.com. It is section 8-55 of the "REVISED MUNICIPAL CODE City and County of DENVER, COLORADO"

Back
Top Bottom