FVSC weekly afterwork local dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone,

On Wed, May 9th, the Fraser Valley Scuba Club will begin our (hopefully) weekly, local, after work, dives. These are designed to just get divers in the water and comfortable with what ever they want to work on. You don't need to be a superstar to attend!

If you are a Fraser Valley diver and are looking for others to connect with, our club is a family oriented, friendly group with some old, some new, some tech, some rec and everyone's welcome.

This week, we'll meet at Cultus lake, Entrance Bay, North dock, 6pm for a dive and practice some basic buddy/leadership skills (like maintaining contact in the expected low vis). Bring your SMB and a spool if you want to try shooting one or just work on those fin kicks! I will have my GoPro (and my new lens adapter Woot!) and can video anyone if they want to review themselves later.

Again,

Wed May 9th, 6pm, Cultus lake, Entrance Bay, North Dock.

Let's be prompt and fairly ready to go so we can get in, get wet, and get back not too late.

Regards,
Dale.

robosock054-1.jpg

You know what they say: I you build it, they will come.

Then they will ask for your permit and order a building inspection!

The red filter made everything I shot look...red :( so I guess we have to go back :)

This week (May 16th) we will dive the Jade Bay wreckage area but park at the southern end of the Entrance Bay parking lot (not allowed to park at Jade Bay during the summer).
So, meet at Jade Bay to dump gear, park at Entrance Bay, walk back to Jade Bay.

Jade Bay, 6 pm, May 16th.

Three of us met as planned and the parking/walk was easy enough (easier than Whytecliffe). Dove the wreckage sites again, working on skills at depth and spotted a number of Cultus sculpin's along the way. Best part for me is that my Oculus lens worked and my video is more crisp Whoot!!! This bodes well for the fish project as I can better document what I see.

Towards the end of the dive we found many Large Scale Suckers Catostomus macrocheilus spawning in the shallows (<20') just south of the boat ramp and spent a good amount of time observing them. Very cool to a fish nerd like myself. Video to follow when edited.

Thanks P and A-M for the company :)

---------- Post added May 17th, 2012 at 11:54 PM ----------

Video of spawning Suckers here: [video=youtube;paVSKk2maOY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paVSKk2maOY&amp;list=UU5zvhnU0XYpf_cadpYJYkhQ&amp; index=1&amp;feature=plcp[/video]

Last edited:
Second video of the spawning suckers:

[video=youtube;gWHsCgk6hyY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWHsCgk6hyY&amp;feature=youtu.be[/video]

This week, June 6th, let's dive into the small cove between Entrance Bay and the old marina site for some compass work and whatever.

June 6th Meet: 6pm, Dock at North end of Entrance Bay parking lot. Everyone's welcome to come out and join us.

This week (June 13th) let's meet at Spring Bay on Cultus Lake. Spring Bay is the next pullout south past Entrance and Jade Bay with a small parking lot that fits about a dozen cars. There are some picnic tables and an outhouse. It bottoms out at 45' and is a straight forward dive but the topography can be misleading in some parts so bring a compass.

Wed. June 13th. 6:00pm, Spring Bay

Back
Top Bottom