Fuzziness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfisher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK all you video geeks, I need some help. It's taken me like forever to get some of my video captured and edited with a lot of owrk along the way. However, my first DVD is all fuzzy, like out of focus. It's very clear when viewing on wide screen TV so I'm taking for granted te prblem is not the tape or the camcorder.

The program I'm using is Power Director 6 by Cyberlink. It's supposed to be a decent editing program, but I wonder???????? Is it possible the problem is my computer's video card? I'm using discs that are not on the programs recommended list. Problem?

Also I might add that my computer isn't up to snuff in the Processor speed. So far I'm just trying to learn how to edit and it's really a chore for me. I just made a short clip to disc using Windows Movie Maker, just for comparison, with the same fuzziness.

I'll add that I captured some recent footage from a trip to Bonaire and when viewing it on Power Director it's lousy. There are black fluttering vertical lines covering almost the whole screen. I'm at a loss so need some suggestions from those who know.

I do know that I have to get another computer and plan on doing so, but I thought I could do some learning on my present computer. Ishould probably get a Mac and be done with it, but they are out of my price range. I'm planning on something with an AMD 64x2 3gig processor, 3gig of DDR-2 ram, 500gig SATA hard drive, and possibly a GeForce 8800 video card. Also to be dedicated just for video editing. What other suggestions?

For further info I'm using a Sony HC7, but editing in SD for now.

Please help. I'm ready to pull out what little hair I have left.

OK all you video geeks, I need some help. It's taken me like forever to get some of my video captured and edited with a lot of owrk along the way. However, my first DVD is all fuzzy, like out of focus. It's very clear when viewing on wide screen TV so I'm taking for granted te prblem is not the tape or the camcorder.

The program I'm using is Power Director 6 by Cyberlink. It's supposed to be a decent editing program, but I wonder???????? Is it possible the problem is my computer's video card? I'm using discs that are not on the programs recommended list. Problem?

Also I might add that my computer isn't up to snuff in the Processor speed. So far I'm just trying to learn how to edit and it's really a chore for me. I just made a short clip to disc using Windows Movie Maker, just for comparison, with the same fuzziness.

I'll add that I captured some recent footage from a trip to Bonaire and when viewing it on Power Director it's lousy. There are black fluttering vertical lines covering almost the whole screen. I'm at a loss so need some suggestions from those who know.

I do know that I have to get another computer and plan on doing so, but I thought I could do some learning on my present computer. Ishould probably get a Mac and be done with it, but they are out of my price range. I'm planning on something with an AMD 64x2 3gig processor, 3gig of DDR-2 ram, 500gig SATA hard drive, and possibly a GeForce 8800 video card. Also to be dedicated just for video editing. What other suggestions?

For further info I'm using a Sony HC7, but editing in SD for now.

Please help. I'm ready to pull out what little hair I have left.

You can pick up a refurbished mac. A Macbook isn't a whole lot of bucks, plus you don't have to constantly keep buying stuff. That being said, the screen is 13".

The Apple Store (U.S.)

X

SD files edited to DVD will never look as good as the HD footage from the camcorder to an HDTV.

I'll try to help, but it's difficult to say if it's your video card or just a poor DVD.

Are you capturing video in HD or SD ? When you capture, are the video files *.avi or *.m2t ?

How do the captured video files look on Windows media player ?

How does HD video from vimeo or blip.tv look ?

Ron,

Been busy studying some of my editing books andthings are starting to make a little more sense to me. See if I can explain more. I've been capturing through a firewire cable, but not using HD on my program so I imagine it's SD on the program. This might be the "fuzziness" problem I alude to.

What bugs me about this is that when played directly from the camcorder to an HDTV TV through a component or AV video cable everything is good (in focus). Going through either of these cables the signal should be SD, right?

I remember reading that to burn HD I should have HD discs. Is this correct?

My first couple captures went into the computer OK, but then while editing I got an error message and while clearing it lost all my data. Frustration!!!!!!!!! I'm learning as I go. Save the data!!!!!!!!!

Big problem for me which I don't undersand. My last few captures have had vertical black lines through the screen when viewing. Looks like eyeballng the video through a half closed venetion blind with vertical slats. What can this be? All my books say nothing about this. Is this maybe a case where my processor isn't fast enough to capture the data correctly? I don't know.

By the way. I appreciate the help and am learning. Believe it or not

Barry

Throw my .02 in here,
Been busy studying some of my editing books andthings are starting to make a little more sense to me. See if I can explain more. I've been capturing through a firewire cable, but not using HD on my program so I imagine it's SD on the program. This might be the "fuzziness" problem I alude to.
If you're capturing video with a computer that doesn't meet the minimum requirements for HDV capture then you're capturing in SD. Even if PowerDirector thinks it's HD. Although I wouldn't think that's the reason for the "fuzziness" as SD captures I've done onto an older PC have looked better since I'm downconverting HD source material to SD.
What bugs me about this is that when played directly from the camcorder to an HDTV TV through a component or AV video cable everything is good (in focus). Going through either of these cables the signal should be SD, right?
Composite (AV) yes, Component not necessarily. I don't have an HDMI port on my HC1 so my component output is HDV.
My first couple captures went into the computer OK, but then while editing I got an error message and while clearing it lost all my data. Frustration!!!!!!!!! I'm learning as I go. Save the data!!!!!!!!!
Frankly I'd consider a better editing program also...Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8 which edits in HDV is only around $129. For me it's been rock-solid. Part of your problem is always going to be that your hardware is below the minimum required also, until you change that you'll likely have problems with any editing program.
Big problem for me which I don't undersand. My last few captures have had vertical black lines through the screen when viewing. Looks like eyeballng the video through a half closed venetion blind with vertical slats. What can this be? All my books say nothing about this. Is this maybe a case where my processor isn't fast enough to capture the data correctly?
I don't know. Can you do a frame grab and post it here. It's hard to envision what you're describing. Are they on every frame in your edit window?

I edit in Vegas, but I am going to toss something out here. While I LOVE editing in Vegas (coming from older Canopus and Premiere) it is purely processor based. Meaning that to make it faster, you NEED to buy a faster CPU. Other editors can make use of the GPU on video cards for acceleration, so you can make them faster by dropping in a new video card.

Frankly, with underperforming hardware, and a weak editor, the current scenario is going to be nothing but problems for this user.

Steve and Perrone,

I have no doubt that I have to get another computer. I want to get one just for my pics and videos. Believe me, I've been researching. I've also decided that an external hard drive is a must. At least 500gig.

I also think another rditing program is in the future. For now I just wanted to get something so I could learn how to edit, but things as they are just make the process harder for me. I am learning to understand it more, though.

As for those vertical black lines? Grab and post a frame? Surely you jest. I'd love to but don't know how. I don't even know how to post photos on these internet forums and I'm on a bunch of them with another sport (archery).

I did try one tape this morning and did an Automatic Batch Capture (good or bad?). No lines on that but after the batch capture was done and the program was capturing from that things just came to a halt 5 minutes into a 53 minute tape. It actually got 6 segments out of the 79 on batch capture window. DUH????????

Anyway, I edited what I had to see what it looked like, burned a DVD, and played it on the wide screen. Had a lot of what I'll call vertical lines, like the frame was segmented. Might be that I sharpened the pic up too much and it shows on a big screen.

Anyway, threw that one in the trash and started over. Now I have another one I have to view. That's where I'm off to now. Man, I never thought this would be so labor intensive. I imagine it'll get easier as time goes by.

Man, I never thought this would be so labor intensive. I imagine it'll get easier as time goes by.

You can put a screw in a wall with a hammer... but it's a HELL of a lot easier with a screwdriver.

Honestly, you have a very modern camera. One that shoots large footage. Footage that would tax even a computer from a couple years ago. Trust me, I'm going through it now! I also have some of the best editing tools available to the semi-pro editor. And it's still quite a lot of work.

You can download a trial version of Sony Vegas and play with it. See how you like it. See if it makes your life easier. It will, but it will still be slow because of your computer.

There are a few things on an editing machine that will make your life a TON easier.

1. Fastest CPU you can afford. Period.
2. The most RAM that will fit in the machine.
3. More Hard drive space than you'd ever think you'd need.

External drives are nice, and have some advantages, but put disk IN the machine as well. Put your operating system and that stuff on the internal drive. Put your video files on a second drive, and leave a third drive for "scratch" or a place to store working files. This makes life a LOT easier.

By the way, 1080i video (which your HC7 shoots) takes about 140GB per hour when uncompressed. Even compressed into a good working format, it will take 1/3 that much space. Don't skimp. You're pushing around a LOT of data.

OK, this DVD is much better. I cut down on rying to sharpen the picture, played with the contrast a bit and the vertical segments are gone. Still doesn't answer why it quit capturing 5 minutes into the batch, but Ill figure things out.

I think some of my problems are that I'm trying to get professional results without the right equipment and the fact that this camcorder is not a professional unit. Trying to get all the color and stuff like magazine pics isn't going to happen with a $1000 camcorder. I'm trying to get results like a firend of mine that shoots with $20,000 video gear.

That does not negate the fact that I need more and better hardware.

Now I have to eat and go to work. Later

Barry

Barry,

Don't discount the camera. The HC7 can produce some LOVELY images. But like most things, it requires time to learn HOW to coax those images out, and you need the tools to make it happen as well.

Ansel Adams and Joe Adams can both be given the same camera, but they'll come home with VERY different results.

Take your time, and learn your craft, and you'll be amazed at what that HC7 give deliver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom