future diver with some gear questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know a few that have had the same gear for years. But I find the majority of divers I know have gone thru gear changes. Not happy with this or that. Poor advice when they got started. Or just simply upgrades. So, count on buying more stuff as you get more experienced.
One thing I would never buy used: Regulator. Simply because you're gonna have to pay money to get it serviced right off the bat. One exception would be a high end (pricey when new) reg you can get for cheap. Say a used Atomic T2 for example

Save the money and buy good quality new equipment. Used gear is someones discarded crap. That's why they are getting rid of it.

I really can't let this one go . . .

Used gear is not necessarily "someone's discarded crap." Statistically speaking, it's tremendously more likely that it belonged to someone who took a SCUBA class, had a bunch of gear pushed on them, and then a couple of years later, realized they weren't diving and had all this "stuff" they wanted to turn into cash.

Unless it's severely corroded inside and out, it's repairable.

Even if they are upgrading it will be nothing more than used flotsam.

You're diving a used regulator right now. Everybody does. It's only new until the first time it hits the water.

There is zero difference between "new" and "used and properly serviced". In fact, given the quality control at most factories, it's entirely possible that the used reg will breathe better, since a real person has adjusted it on a flow bench.

I won't buy used brakes or anything else my life depends on.

For an Open Water diver, the only thing their life depends on is the stuff between their ears. There is no such thing as "Open Water Life Support Equipment". There is no equipment used that can't be immediately replaced with the proper execution of an air share or ascent.

I would stick with the LDS so if there is a problem or question you can go in person. Brands are probably about the same safety wise, but i've found SCUBAPRO has good support around the world. Most of all have fun and stay safe.

I teach for an LDS, and although they would certainly like to sell new equipment, they're also very happy to get service business.

flots

Last edited:
I agree with flots am on all points.

If you get a jacket BCD instead of a backplate/wing (I'm not pushing either way on this), I'd get a weight-integrated. You can wear a weight belt even if you've got one (and for some reason want to), but you have to wear a weight belt if you don't have one.

The key issue with masks is a good fit. This is one area where more expensive higher end models aren't necessarily better. If practical, dive with a mask before committing to buy it. Especially if you are a 'difficult seal' kind of guy (like me).

If you anticipate shore diving where it's rough & rocky (e.g.: Bonaire), skip the thin-soled 'booties' & get boots with a decent thick sole (I like SeaSoft Sunrays for tropical diving). Helps keep ragged iron shore pressure points from messing up your feet as you walk on it geared up. For similar reasons, get open-heel fins, not full foot.

For a dive computer, I prefer one that can download dives to a computer, which I where I do my real dive logging. And can see a graph showing how my dive went. If a console, air-integrated. A lot of people prefer wrist computers, and they are very convenient to glance at; air-integrated is nice (if you can download to your PC, then it records start & end pressures & likely calculates your SAC, so you hardly need to write down anything at the dive site), though wireless AI wrist units can be pricy.

If you opt for a dive knife, don't buy a stainless steel knife or it will rust (unless you are quite diligent about after-dive care). One of the H1 models from Spyderco (I use a Salt 1) or a titanium (not cheapie titanium coated!) knife should do fine. A small one that clips on your BCD is fine. A big honking whopper strapped to your leg unnecessary.

I prefer LED dive lights; reputedly durable, long-lasting bulbs that use little energy & don't run hot. Some halogen lights are so hot they're not to be used above water.

Richard.

I have only been diving for a year now, so I made some purchasing decisions like the one you are facing in the last months. For me LOCAL SERVICE is priority #1. I am not the first to say how important this is but I feel its worth spending a little extra to buy equipment that you can get serviced locally. Priority #2 is buying from people that you feel want your business, want you to be out diving and , most importantly, want you to be SAFE. I have found two such sources near me and they will get my regulator and service business from here on. If I need odds and ends I might order on line or buy something used, but items that need service will be brands and models that my local shops can support.

If you do decide to buy used from the classifieds I would check with your local shop and ask about the servicability of the item you are looking at. The response you get when asking about a particular model you are considering buying used will also tell you a lot about the shop. Simply ask for an estimate for the cost of servicing an XYZ model PDQ regulator that you are considering buying used. Take that cost into account when looking at the price.

good luck,
Jerry

I won't buy used brakes or anything else my life depends on.

No but you use a car with used brakes on it every day. So when/if you ever buy a used car do you change the brakes out on them right away? If you do change them what parts do you change? Just the worn parts or the whole system?

My regulator was new and I never loan it out. The last person who used your rental or the old regulator you bought on ebay may have had hepatitis and a mouth full periodontitis( which can involve blood and pus). I'll buy new.

Support your local dive shop. Obviously the first rule of business is to make money. Servicing is a part of the income , but the sales of new equipment may keep the business solvent. I'll pay extra for the convenience of going in and dealing with an issue one on one and trying to keep the shop in business. They are nice people.

The view that your equipment is not a life saving device is fair albeit inaccurate. You can't breath water, and the new diver may forget his teachings if they panic. Why put someone in a position that equipment malfunction is an issue. I'm sure DAN has statistics for equipment related accidents. New equipment isn't fail safe, but odds are it will work.

Some people like worn out stuff,saving money and are giddy about getting it to work, and others just want to buy something and not have to worry about it. To each is own.

For a used reg that might be diseased, how difficult is it to disinfect it? I really don't know. I guess there could be something nasty in the hoses-- could they be sufficiently cleaned?

Wow! thank you everyone for the input. I searched local dive shops around PSL and so far I am liking the gear exchange program at force-e. they let you buy gear and if your not happy with it you can exchange/upgrade/downgrade it within 30 days. they price match as well, that should ensure that i get what is comfortable for me and get a good deal at the same time.

i have the money for all new gear, but I think i might blend a couple of suggestions posted. i think i will get a new regulator and will consider used stuff for almost everything else. I wont pull the trigger on anything yet until i talk to the local dive shops and see what they service. I saw that force-e offers free dives if you buy new gear from them, (i would get 6 free dives with a bcd,regulator, and dive computer purchase). that would help me out as far as getting some experience with seasoned divers for my first few outings, and make new gear from them more appealing.

there is a bunch more to diving than i initially thought. i had some notion that i would take a 2 hour class, buy some stuff and be good to go, haha. I look forward to doing a ton of homework and educating myself as much as possible prior to taking the course. I plan on calling force-e and deep6 to find out about their classes and gear after the holiday.
thanks again for the input!

Whichever route you enjoy your future dives. To take from an old Honda ad, you'll meet the nicest people in dive gear. Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom