Fusion vs Santi vs DUI

Best drysuit for life

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a Fusion Tech, and was pretty happy with it.
Donning it wasn't that big of a deal once I got used to it, but it does take a bit more work.

I didn't like the boots at all.....drying time cold take a couple of days for the boots to dry; and taking them off of the suit was a hassle. I ended up just leaving them on all of the time.

I has the sitech replaceable wrist and neck seals, which I would recommend.

the suit does sag when wearing it at the surface, but I wear a rubber, free diving weight belt which kept the out skin from sagging. Without the belt....that skin will definitely sag.

The Tech pockets suck. I removed mine and sewed Halcyon pockets on.

You must have a free diving belt on, or those pockets, when full will sag even more.
I was happy with the Fusion, even with the boot drying issue, and the slight donning obstacle.
In the water, the suit is great. It really is.

Before I purchased mine, I noticed that the Fusion seemed to be offered for sale more often than other suits, but I decided to buy it anyway.

I ended up doing the same thing.

I sold my Fusion and bought a Santi eMotion.
Now that suit....is bad ass!!....I love my eMotion!
The boots are great, the pockets are the best ones I have seen.
The overall quality of the suit is superb.

I followed the measurement directions that Santi posted in a you tube video.
I ordered a stock size XL, and the fit was perfect.

I have no significant experience with the DUI, except for renting a TLS 350 a couple of times after using one in my initial drysuit class.

A buddy of mine has a TLS 350, but he's really wishing he had an eMotion also.

Cheers,
Mitch

---------- Post added November 11th, 2013 at 05:58 AM ----------

I owned a fusion.

So did I.
Many of them seem to end up getting sold.
I certainly is an easy to dive suit, but the negatives (although minor) added up, and made me want to sell it.

So did I.
Many of them seem to end up getting sold.
I certainly is an easy to dive suit, but the negatives (although minor) added up, and made me want to sell it.
The *ONLY* reason I sold mine is that I was moving to Brazil and really had no use for it there, so I thought. Swimming in it was just about the same as a wetsuit to me and the sizing was extremely forgiving.

I don't know if it's any help, but a buddy of mine is selling his Fusion and just bought a Santi E.Motion. He is in LOVE with the E.Motion. He doesn't have much experience diving dry, so take that for what it's worth.

Also, I just bought my wife a Fusion (used). Besides the wrist seal being messed up, the suit was very solid. I have been nothing but impressed by that thing. We haven't done a dive with it yet, but she's very excited to. It looks great dry, and has kept her dry after like 45min of sitting in the pool.

As for all of the people hating on how to put it on, they've probably never put one on. My wife gets in hers as quick or quicker than any other person donning a drysuit I've seen, including Trilam and Neoprene. It's MUCH quicker for her to don/doff her Fusion than it is for her to don OR doff her wetsuit. There are tricks to it, and she's only donned/doffed it 4 times....but she's getting quicker. I can't don/doff mine that quickly, and I'm in a Hollis FX100.

I have not tryed other suits but the wife has a whites she's happy with it, I have a dui flx and love! It no complaints.

I don't know if it's any help, but a buddy of mine is selling his Fusion and just bought a Santi E.Motion. He is in LOVE with the E.Motion. He doesn't have much experience diving dry, so take that for what it's worth.

Also, I just bought my wife a Fusion (used). Besides the wrist seal being messed up, the suit was very solid. I have been nothing but impressed by that thing. We haven't done a dive with it yet, but she's very excited to. It looks great dry, and has kept her dry after like 45min of sitting in the pool.

As for all of the people hating on how to put it on, they've probably never put one on. My wife gets in hers as quick or quicker than any other person donning a drysuit I've seen, including Trilam and Neoprene. It's MUCH quicker for her to don/doff her Fusion than it is for her to don OR doff her wetsuit. There are tricks to it, and she's only donned/doffed it 4 times....but she's getting quicker. I can't don/doff mine that quickly, and I'm in a Hollis FX100.

I think it's easier for us girls because the legs are just like putting on pantyhose. Step in and pull it up just like getting dressed in the morning (well, back when I had a formal office job)... I'm a bit slow because it's still a new suit but the off the rack sizing held huge appeal for me.

The longest part of getting dressed is honestly ensuring I don't have hair in the neck seal. >:/

I put mine on dozens of times :) (and still hated the process with a passion)

In all fairness, I strongly recommend people trying before buying. I bought the Whites bc people I knew and respected thought very highly of them (and still do). Then I tried the DUI at a Dog day and it was so much easier FOR ME to put on and dive. At the end of the day i got a good deal on DUI so i probably didn't spend MUCH more on the two suits than i would have spent on one, so it ended up ok.

But anyway, as anyone can see from this thread... opinions abound. Everyone is different and I'd hate for someone to go buy a any suit based on Internet recommendations, and then be unhappy with it. If there is an opportunity to try the suit one is considering, that would be optimal.

I voted for DUI as that I am very happy with my TXL 350. DUI, however, is the only suit I have owned or used. I hear both good and not-so-good about the White. But I also her both about DUI, mainly the cost. Within my small circle of dry suit users, DUI is the predominant suit. I don't think I know anyone who uses a Santi...maybe we are missing out on something great, like running water or electricity :d

Sometimes a suit gets a bad reputation from a owner, however, it's the owners fault for not taking proper care or using the suit properly...IMHO.

Sometimes a suit gets a bad reputation from a owner, however, it's the owners fault for not taking proper care or using the suit properly...IMHO.

And sometimes certain suits are just more prone to leaks than others. :)

Until recently I had a DUI, Santi and Fusion hanging in my room. While I seldom had DUI leak issues I never felt comfortable in the suit, it didn't fit me real well.

After looking at DUI FLX Extreme, Fourth Element, Waterproof, Santi, Whites and a couple others, I purchased a Santi and of the three it is by far the most comfortable suit I own.
Here is what I like about the Santi. The way Santi cuts the suit makes it very flexible.
The pockets are large, yet still lay flat if empty, easy to access and have plenty of attachment points.
The soft boots are comfortable.
The Tizip zipper works. I have not noticed any delamination issues with mine. The zipper going from the shoulder to the waist is much easier for me than the reverse like DUI. The wide shoulder straps with the quick release buckles are a nice feature, unlike DUI and others if you don't get it right you have to take the suit off and try again.

On a whim and a great price, I purchased a Fusion Bullet this spring with the idea I would use it for local diving where I didn't care how long it took to dry.
It took a couple of dons to figure out how to efficiently put the suit on. Once on, I leave it on, peel it down to the waist and deal with the crotch sagging down to the knees by using a belt around the waist while I'm walking around on shore or a boat deck.
I tried a tech skin and a bullet skin during a pool dive and while the tec is a little less restrictive I had no issues reaching valves, pockets with the bullet.
Pockets lack in comparison to others on the market.
I need assistance with the zipper the last couple of inches.
Once in the water with the neck seal system and the zipper you will notice some restriction in shoulder movement, there may be more range with glue in neck seal.

The Fusion is going to be less expensive to purchase, no doubt. Is the cost worth the 'hassles', only you can decide? When I had my short list, it was between Santi and DUI FLX Extreme. When I added all the accessories to the DUI I was within a few hundred dollars of the Santi.
You will pay more for a Santi but you will not be sorry.

I've been diving dry for many years and have owned many drysuits. They include DiveRite 905, 2 Oceanic's (cordura, biodry) and 3 DUI's (2 tls350's, 1 FLX Extreme). I have also test dove Viking Vulcanized rubber suit, DUI CF200, Bare neoprene/trilam's/Nex-Gen and 50 dives in a Whites Fusion (Just a little background ....LOL). I love every aspect of the SANTI Trilam suits. Quality construction, comfort in/out of water, easy donning, flex sole boots and great pockets (specifically, E.Motion/E. Lite are the best pockets on the market).

There are many past posts that you can research on this topic as well, good luck with the decision process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom