Fusion Mask adujustment Pins Contstantly Breaking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I own two Fusion 3 window masks and love them for their fit and peripheral viewing,
but...
I've had 3 or 4 sets of strap adjustment pins pull out and fly off into the abyss on several dives. This is not only annoying and expensive at $17 per pin but dangerous and in my opinion a poor design. A through bolted or pressed pin or something similar would be ideal.

Anyway, my LDS was kind enough to replace my mask even though it was beyond warrantee and I was only looking to pick up yet more pins... so I'll have an opportunity to see if it was just this one particular mask or the design itself.

I got tired of being told that it's just me and that adjustments shouldn't have to be made on a dive or that I'm wearing it too tight, etc. It's not reality to not adjust a mask on a dive sometimes and it certainly shouldn't constantly break.

So...I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with the Fusion's latch/adjustment system and pins?

I've written to tech support to ask if they might have either an older through bolted
style design or if the P1's back adjust strap system with the metal "permanent" pins
would work on the 3 window. Hopefull there is some kind of retrofit available.

Have any of you had a similar problem with your pins getting launched into the deep
when adjusting underwater?

Thanks for any feedback,
Jim

Thanks Mike. I'll give you a call tomorrow.
I'm a faithful XS Scuba fan but I need to work out a solution or see if the new mask makes a difference.
I appreciate the quick response!
Jim

Jim,

I have a Fusion, and while I've never experienced or seen your problem, I do suggest getting a neoprene slap strap - the one with the built-in nylon straps (not the one that just slips on over your current silicone strap). I find that I need less tension to keep the neoprene strap on my head, and also need to pull on it less to put the mask on or take it off.

If you can't get your problem fixed but still want to use the Fusion, I think it's well worth trying for $6.

Thanks. It's not so much the tension as ANY pulling of the strap ends launches the pins. I'll give it a try if the new mask doesn't behave itself.
Two times last year and two times this year. (once at 70') I'm at the point now where I'm afraid to touch the adjustment at all. Although I usually use the latch, when task loaded it's not always possible to use the latch mechanism rather than tug on the strap end a little to adjust, especially with neoprene gloves. Do you ever adjust without pulling out on the adjuster latch? If the pins were through bolted (with nylocks on each end) or something similar they'd be bulletproof. I've thought about putting a dab of crazy glue on the end of the pins but then they wouldn't roll...
I just don't understand this design choice over something more secure than a watch band style
plastic pin.
I like their P1 version with the metal set pins and the back of the mask strap adjustment latch. I'm hoping that can be retrofit to the 3 window Fusion. Maybe the lst mask was faulty somehow (elongated pin holes or something...) I won't know for sure until I dive the replacement and adjust underwater as needed.

Just got off the phone with Mike who was very helpful. Thanks Mike!
He seemed to think that it was either an original frame issue with that one particular mask or else the repeated pin replacements wore the pin holes enough to keep repeating the problem.

I'll dive the new mask between tomorrow and the beginning next week and see how it goes and report back to Mike.

I was concerned that the mask replacement would cost my LDS money as it was replaced out of warrantee but Mike assured me that it would all be made cool with them.

Great company and I appreciate their (and Mike's) personal involvement. Kudos to Anacortes Diving and Supply (Anacortes, WA.) for some of the best customer service and suppoort around the Puget Sound region.
Here's hoping things work right from now on. It'll probably take several dives rather than just one to be sure and I'll let you know Mike.

Thanks again, Jim T.

I have had the same problem. XS Scuba fusion2GR. On my 9th dive lost the pin. This was during my rebreather training, if not under enough stress. I'm sitting on the back of the boat waiting to dive the Hydro Atlantic. Very rough conditions, I'm not feeling the greatest and I look down on the deck and see this little thingy. I think to myself "I hope that's not mine and something I need" Wave washes over the stern and the thingy is gone. Well guess what, its from my mask. Good thing I was carrying a spare.
Does anyone know where to find a replacement?
Al

Mike, although I haven't had a chance quite yet to dive my replacement mask, (and I do love this mask)
and you've been more than great, Al's experience seems to indicate that mine is not an isolated case and possibly not
as uncommon as it might seem...?

I'd still feel a lot more confident with a Pressed or peened over Stainless Steel pin in there and will probably explore that route if the new mask's pins don't ultimately stay put.

Is it possible this hasn't been brought to XS's attention/reported before because people are simply buying replacement pins at their local dive shops rather than purchasing another mask and it just is considered normal maintenance, etc.?
It might be interesting to see if the number of replacement pin sales is higher than anticipated/normally expected and might have been missed as mask sales showed up more prominently on records than pin sales? I've bought 3 or 4 sets in two years and wonder if that kind of thing "crosses XS's radar" or not?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom