Fusion boots, Evo3 or ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColinB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I picked up a used Whites Fusion, which fits great, but the boots which came with it are too small, so I'm open to advice on what the best combo is with my Fusion. Anybody using the Fusion boots and have comments? They sound cool, but I'm wondering about air movement compared to lace ups and any other advice from those with more experience diving dry (I've only got 3 dry dives so far, and none in the Fusion yet, although I'm hoping to try it in the pool this weekend).

thanks,
Colin

The Evo3 boots give very good ankle support. They are big, though, and require large foot pockets on your fins. I haven't tried the newer soft boots, so I can't comment on them. There are other less expensive options, too. Some Fusion divers wear Converse Chuck Taylor All-stars.

Make sure that you are wearing thick enough socks (wool or neoprene) since the bilam material provides very little thermal protection on its own. You need to consider this when sizing the outer boot. Good luck...

I went this route based on a suggestion on SB. I took my fins to the shoe store (lots of weird looks) and my wool hiking socks. I ended up with some clearance sales All-stars one size over my shoe size. I've put in ~20 dives and they work great. Didn't need to buy new fins either. Not sure about super rocky/slimey shore entries though. So far so good though.

I picked up a pair of OTB Boots S.A.R.S last year. Have been very happy with them and am looking at getting a pair for my daughter now. I like the fact that you can adjust the space in the boot by removing the inserts. So when it is really cold you can remove all but the thinnest insert and where heavier socks, and the opposite when it is warm.

Plus the price is good, $39 for sand/green and $49 for Black. Bought a size larger than my shoe size.

I've been using the EVO boots and they have been just dandy. I was also happy with the Alterra boots I used with my old Nexus suit - I've used them sometimes with the Fusion also.

Jang just looks a bit funny when he scampers down the rocks in his bright soled "high-tops" :D

I've tried the following:

• Wet suit booties
  • EVO boots
  • Altera boots
  • Rock Boots
  • And finally, the attached Fusion boots:

fusion-boot.png

By far and away the best answer has been the attached Fusion Boots. They are quite a bit faster to put on, comfortable, and warmer.

I first tried on a pair of these in size 13 (my shoe size is 10 1/2) and they were a bit too big and sloppy. The size 11 Fusion Boots I have now are a nice fit, and have no issues with air filling the feet.

About the only problem is that they make flipping the suit inside out difficult - I only flip the suit inside out as far as the ankles.

All the best, James

I dive a Fusion and went the Chuck Taylors route. They don't offer any thermal protection but they're cheap and don't require big fin pockets.

Like James, I tried a bunch of things with my Fusion, although I took my final action before the soft boots were available.

I tried the Evo boots -- beautiful boots, well-constructed and light, but they're made on a last for men and didn't fit me in any size. I used Chuck Taylors, but got tired of the hassle of lacing them up. I used Gill Marine surf shoes, which worked well but didn't have enough sole on them to make it comfortable to walk over rocks. A second pair of a different style had a better sole, but I kicked one of them off in a cave -- that was the end of THAT. I tried ScubaPro wetsuit booties (and this is a pretty good answer) but they won't zip up over the MK3 undergarment.

I gave up and put TurboSoles on my Fusion. I suspect that's nearly equivalent to the attached boots.

I started with a pair of Fusion boots (this is my first drysuit). I liked the fact that they were attached, so I couldn't forget them, and they are relatively comfortable. I did not like the fact that they have no arch support.
Last month at the White's demo, I tried the Evo's. I like them much better. They are bigger and heavier, but they have arch support and I didn't get as much air in my feet. I now have a pair of Evo's on order.

Carrie, what fins are you using? Did you try the Evos in your fins? One of the things I discovered was that they wouldn't fit in my Jets. I tried going up a size in the fins, but I didn't like the bigger ones AT ALL. I don't know what would have been the answer, had the boots fit me well enough to keep them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom