Funniest Diving quotes you have heard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Student to Instructor after first day of dives in OW training " I sure had a lot of problems with farting last night, is that from breathing all that air?"

Instructor to Student " No that's probably from the burritos you ate last night"

LOL - reminds me of something I heard an instructor tell a class once ...

"Chili cheese fries before a dive will definitely affect your buoyancy control."

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Always love it when people ask "What do you see down there?"

A dive buddy of mine always likes to respond ... "Oh, octopus, sharks, sea monsters, mermaids ..."

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In Lake Lanier we see the Budweiser fish, Coors fish, Miller fish, and giant man eating catfish.

So Mr. Dive Guide, How deep are we going?

Dive Guide: All the way to the bottom!

And remember, I don't have to outswim the shark, I only have to outswim you.

Brent

Unfortunately, Steve, No.:(

I asked this question during OW class, again during Nitrox class, DM class and even of an Advanced Gas instructor. The answer was the same each time.:D

The nitrogen loading between the time you managed to get off the plane, on to the boat and into the water would be such that the "residual" negative group would have returned to practically the same as if you hadn't flown at all.:coffee:

Good try, though...

Ian

I'm in. Just remember that at altitudes above 10,000 feet you need to breathe supplemental O2, and to wear the parachute, the tanks need to be set up as sidemounts. Don't forget to switch from O2 to your diving gas of choice before submerging.

I had thought about that...but why can't you just breathe of your scuba tank for the short time you switch from the plane's O2 to the time you deploy your chute after free fall?

I'm in. Just remember that at altitudes above 10,000 feet you need to breathe supplemental O2, and to wear the parachute, the tanks need to be set up as sidemounts. Don't forget to switch from O2 to your diving gas of choice before submerging.

Sweet!

AFF class had me jumping from 13,500 w/o supplemental O2. But I'll defer to you experts. :wink: Never hurts to have extra O2 handy when diving ... especially when doing something sorta nuts.

James, I am coming from an aircrew background, extended duration above 10k can result in hypoxia and more performance degradation than you would want in your pilot. Typical recreational skydiving profiles (of which I am almost completely ignorant) probably get the jumpers up and out quickly enough that hypoxia is not so much of an issue. I wouldn't be surprised if the pilot has an O2 mask on though.

Jaymal Breathing off your tank would gain you nothing as your regulator is designed to supply air at ambient pressure and if ambient air pressure is low enough to reduce PPO2 below a safe performance threshold the only solution is to increase the o2 %.

James, I am coming from an aircrew background, extended duration above 10k can result in hypoxia and more performance degradation than you would want in your pilot.

Oh, trust me, I don't have the first clue about what I'm talking about. I've only jumped twice, and only once from that height. It was several years ago too.

Thanks for the info! If it's worth doing, it's worth doing safely. I did some searching and can't find any commercial outfits that offer this. It's a shame. The liability is probably huge and the demand small. Still .... how much fun would that be?

I had thought about that...but why can't you just breathe of your scuba tank for the short time you switch from the plane's O2 to the time you deploy your chute after free fall?

Sweet!

AFF class had me jumping from 13,500 w/o supplemental O2. But I'll defer to you experts. :wink: Never hurts to have extra O2 handy when diving ... especially when doing something sorta nuts.

Oh, trust me, I don't have the first clue about what I'm talking about. I've only jumped twice, and only once from that height. It was several years ago too.

Thanks for the info! If it's worth doing, it's worth doing safely. I did some searching and can't find any commercial outfits that offer this. It's a shame. The liability is probably huge and the demand small. Still .... how much fun would that be?

One of the instructors who works for me is an avid skydiver, so I guess I have the connections to make it happen. How much fun$$ do you think it would ne?:D

Unfortunately, Steve, No.:(

I asked this question during OW class, again during Nitrox class, DM class and even of an Advanced Gas instructor. The answer was the same each time.:D

The nitrogen loading between the time you managed to get off the plane, on to the boat and into the water would be such that the "residual" negative group would have returned to practically the same as if you hadn't flown at all.:coffee:

Good try, though...

Ian

Theoretically, it could lengthen your NDL depending on your profile. Let's say it takes two hours to get from the plane to the water - by that time all theoretical tissues up to 20 mins are already re-saturated and even 1 hour tissues are 75% re-saturated from the difference between the plane and sea level. However, if you've been on a transatlantic flight of 10 hours then some very slow tissues will still be significantly under-staurated. These tissues tend to be the controlling tissues on long-shallow repetitive dives.

Realistically though, no it won't make any difference.

In fact, if you wanted to lengthen the NDL for typical profiles where fast tissues are controlling you would be better off breathing pure O2 for an hour before diving which would clear many of the fast theoretical compartments completely. Not great for your OTU accumulation though.

Switch in transit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom