Fundies, interim report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xdjio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hye all - so I'm in the middle of Fundies right now with Alan Johnson. I figured I'd write a little interim report since we're resuming on Aug 25 and 26th. This gives me some time to practice in between - something I could sorely use and will be taking advantage of.

Day 1 - We did all the classroom work and swim tests at the shop (IDC for those of you who know Vancouver). It was a really great, informative day. Alan's a nice guy who I've gotten to know a bit through conversation at the shop and his personality and demeanour really shine when instructing. He's a down to earth guy who I think figured out me and my teammate Dennis pretty quickly. The material we covered on day was thorough, informative and very conversational. All in all - great.

We also did the swim tests this day and I was pleased to do well on both - 300m (the pool we used made this a little more practical than 275) in 8m30s and I pulled off about a 17m swim underwater on one breath, on my first try -- that felt good because I had been a little apprehensive about it. We wrapped up an 8 hour day or so, and it was off to an early bedtime for me.

Day 2 - This was a mixed bag but I feel like I learned a ton. We practiced the 5 skills on land, which I got the hang of after about 10 or so repetitions back and forth with Dennis. I'm using a can light and I still find the motion to clear the cable a little bit awkward. More on that later. We tracked down a convenient picnic table and practiced the various propulsion methods - also a good time and I felt relative ease getting the motions down.

Gear up and try those same propulsion techniques on the surface. I was pleased with my performance there too - I had them all reasonably well accomplished and managed to get a decent back kick working straight away - on the surface.

Dive 1 - we laid a square, did a descent (with some challenges staying together as a time, staying out of the line (my big problem today among others)) and watched and performed propulsion techniques. THat went decently well with my discovery on video oh a big posture challenge. Right now, I tend to "bunch up" and instead of staying flat from shoulders to knees I'm sort of arched the exact opposite way -- hips and butt too high. This is a challenge for me right now because I've got it in my head that that "feels" level although it clearly isn't. When I get in the right posture, I feel like my chest is too high. Practice :) Neutral buoyancy wasn't too bad on this first dive though.

Dive 2 - uh, maybe the phrase "gong show" is best here. Things fell apart pretty fast when my buddy (captain for this dive) first started doing the 5 skills. He kept rising, and in an effort to help bring him back down, I started rising too. Something I could have managed better quickly had a snowball effect and neither one of us could really fix our location, so we rose from about 8m to about 3m doing those skills, yo-yoing the whole time. Ouch.

When I did the 5, it got worse - the long hose and light rattled me, clipping off my primary rattled me, but it all hit the fan when I went to clear my mask and we went from about 8m to 2m. By then I was already frustrated as hell and the whole rest of the exercise was sloppy. I won't bother getting into detail on that.

Plans and lessons learned:

1) Buoyancy. I need to work on this. Some positive things that have happened so far - Until now I've probably been about 12 lbs overweighted. I think that alone will help things since I'll be less prone to yo-yoing since I won't need quite so much gas at depth. Less gas to deal with, less sensitivity to depth changes in the first place. I really felt like I was on the "knife edge" of buoyancy in dive 2.

2) Teamwork. I think things really started to get out of hang when Dennis (captain on Dive 2) was about 2 feet above me and started rising while doing his skills. I could have stayed neutral and told him to level off - instead of I rose after him, caught him, had to vent gas and them BAM - that started the yo-yo cycle.

3) Mask clearing. Until then, I was feeling "vulnerable" to getting out of control but that really cause the poop to hit the fan. I'm going to be practicing this more. I had an awkward time getting the clear started and that was enough to send my control over the side.

4) Posture. I know what the "right" posture feels like now, I just need to train my brain to realize that this is right and not way off trim.

5) Slow the hell down. On reflection, I realized that we were really rushing through our 5 skills. Almost trying to tackle all 5 as through there were one long exercise. I think we generated a lot of stress for ourselves just by doing that. We decided when we next practice, to practice by us alternating skills at first. Then, starting to string them together - first two skills in a row, then 3, then 4, then finally all 5.

6) Dont worry too much and dive more. At least now I know what to work on, right?

Whew! I may write more after we do some skills dive in a week or so.

Any advice / encouragement / feedback is most welcome :)

Sounds like you have a great attitude and are learning alot. Keep up the good work!

You brought back alot of memories of my "bouyancy moments" as I use to call them.

Although it doesn't always feel like it, one of the great things about Fundies is that it makes you confront what you are actually doing, and what your current capabilities are. And that is the first step to improving and expanding them!

Thank you both :) The real tremendous thing about today for me was actually finding out what the heck and am doing and what it looks like - and thinking about and reasoning out WHY. A few thoughts crossed my mind:

- I didn't know what I didn't know

- Now that I know WHAT is wrong, and HOW to fix it, I can start working on actually DOING something about it.

I'm also feeling encourage that my problems are pretty simple ones. I'd rather work on preventing something simple, than something really truly bonkers.

Your post sounds very familiar. Mid course, I thought i was the most incompetent diver to ever be allowed on Fundies. I ended up rising during every skills attempt. But then suddenly it clicked. I also found that post course I rapidly improved as I kept practicing those skills on fun dives. You'll notice rapid improvement. Don't worry.

I'm using a can light and I still find the motion to clear the cable a little bit awkward. More on that later.

Which bit are you finding awkward? Remembering which way? A good mnemonic is "The drill is UNDERway" and then "the drill is OVER". So you move your light head under the longhose after the intial donate, then when cleaning up, you move it over the long hose.After a couple of dozen tries it then becomes natural. And as long as you check at the end, you can always fix it up without "penalty".

Remembering which way is exactly the problem. That's a great mnemonic though - I'll be sure to remember and use that! The other thing I was finding tricky - and I know it was partly due to my own frustrated mental state, was just doing a nice job of clipping off and unclipping boltsnaps (for the can light, for the primary, etc).

And yes - you just described exactly how I felt today. I know it'll get better but MAN - I felt pretty rough. For a second or two underwater today I thought to myself "dangit, I'm done with this" - of course I realized that was just the frustration talking.

After all - think of how much FUN I will have when I get this stuff nailed down!

So - I'm ALMOST done. Since Dennis and I are both fairly green, he's extending our course by a day. Last day (due to everyone's crazy schedules) is Sept 22. I like that since I'll be able to squeeze in another 4 practice dives with some local GUE divers before then. I got in one day of practice in between our two split fundies weekends and it was hugely, hugely helpful.

Here's a brief recap of things I am still working on:

- I know I can reach my valve but lord almighty, it's tough. Stretching is helping, I find the obstacle is my shoulder itself. I've reached it twice now though, so I know I can do it.

- My posture in the water is a lot better. From time to time I have to stretch and flatten out but it's 90% better than it was.

- I need to break my habit of using my hands so much in lieu of a back-kick. Especially since I actually have a working back kick now.

- Buoyancy and comfort when heavily task loaded needs to improve - practice.

- I still find clipping off bolt snaps to my right chest d-ring a bit tricky with one hand.

- Keeping my fins flat and the angle of my ankle nice.

Everything else can get better too, but those are the main projects I am working on now.

Dives 3 and 4 were very nice - hugely better than any previous ones we did. The S-Drill was comfortable and not tricky at all. Something clicked somewhere for me on these dives, I am not sure where, but I feel like I really have got a bit of capacity to do things. In fact, it all started when I redid my basic 5 and did it to standards - once I did that, I knew I could do all the rest of it. The mask clear was honestly (and surprisingly, to me) to biggest psychological obstacle. I found a way to get it happening though - typically I used to get "stuck" and my mask clear was very "choppy". I could clear in a series of short, unhappy bursts.

But if I remember to tilt my head back - somehow, critically for me - and make an "angry face" mask clearing is trivially easy.

I only felt even more confident on the no mask swim - about 20 m or so and it was no big deal. Sure, the water was bitterly, bitterly cold but it was fine. Eyes open, watched the line, success!

All of the usual building blocks took us to Dive 6 - the full on OOG, S-Drill, DSMB and min deco ascent We handled it well.

I think cleaning up the items above should take me to a full rec pass on dives 7 and 8. And I have 4 dives on my own with solid teammates to help me polish my skills. I'm excited and will write a final addendum once all coming dives are done. Oh - we did the written test and it was quite straightforward and easy. I aced it without needing to study for it - but ALan was an excellent teacher who knows how to make the material accessible and easy to retain. I'm also a voracious learner on my own anyway.

Having never written a course report before, feel free to ask me questions too - especially since I don't think this forum has any course reports on Alan.

In a nutshell, I'd say this has so far been the single most invaluable diving course I have taken. I'd recommend this course - and in particular with Alan to ANYONE. I honestly now (kind of) wish I had taken Rec 1 instead of my PADI OW :wink:

I think a lot of us wish we had taken Rec 1 . . . but I know I wouldn't have taken it, had it been available at the time. That's the pity!

It's amazing how fast things start to come together, once you get some of the basic building blocks. And you're going to find your fun diving totally transformed. When you can stop whenever you want, turn and back up, and keep track of your team and stay in communication during a dive, things just get tremendously enjoyable.

Thanks for the class report. It triggers fun memories of Fundies ;-).

Good luck with practice & with the rest of your class!

Hey thanks for the course report, I always enjoy reading these..:cool2:

I'm one of the island folks on that big hunk of rock with all the good dive sites next door :) If you're ever on the Island and want to go for a dive let me know. We organize dives through Vancouver Island Underwater Explorers : GroupSpaces and always like new faces of all experiences levels. :)

Cheers,

Greg

So - I'm ALMOST done. Since Dennis and I are both fairly green, he's extending our course by a day. Last day (due to everyone's crazy schedules) is Sept 22. I like that since I'll be able to squeeze in another 4 practice dives with some local GUE divers before then. I got in one day of practice in between our two split fundies weekends and it was hugely, hugely helpful.

Here's a brief recap of things I am still working on:

- I know I can reach my valve but lord almighty, it's tough. Stretching is helping, I find the obstacle is my shoulder itself. I've reached it twice now though, so I know I can do it.

- My posture in the water is a lot better. From time to time I have to stretch and flatten out but it's 90% better than it was.

- I need to break my habit of using my hands so much in lieu of a back-kick. Especially since I actually have a working back kick now.

- Buoyancy and comfort when heavily task loaded needs to improve - practice.

- I still find clipping off bolt snaps to my right chest d-ring a bit tricky with one hand.

- Keeping my fins flat and the angle of my ankle nice.

Everything else can get better too, but those are the main projects I am working on now.

Dives 3 and 4 were very nice - hugely better than any previous ones we did. The S-Drill was comfortable and not tricky at all. Something clicked somewhere for me on these dives, I am not sure where, but I feel like I really have got a bit of capacity to do things. In fact, it all started when I redid my basic 5 and did it to standards - once I did that, I knew I could do all the rest of it. The mask clear was honestly (and surprisingly, to me) to biggest psychological obstacle. I found a way to get it happening though - typically I used to get "stuck" and my mask clear was very "choppy". I could clear in a series of short, unhappy bursts.

But if I remember to tilt my head back - somehow, critically for me - and make an "angry face" mask clearing is trivially easy.

I only felt even more confident on the no mask swim - about 20 m or so and it was no big deal. Sure, the water was bitterly, bitterly cold but it was fine. Eyes open, watched the line, success!

All of the usual building blocks took us to Dive 6 - the full on OOG, S-Drill, DSMB and min deco ascent We handled it well.

I think cleaning up the items above should take me to a full rec pass on dives 7 and 8. And I have 4 dives on my own with solid teammates to help me polish my skills. I'm excited and will write a final addendum once all coming dives are done. Oh - we did the written test and it was quite straightforward and easy. I aced it without needing to study for it - but ALan was an excellent teacher who knows how to make the material accessible and easy to retain. I'm also a voracious learner on my own anyway.

Having never written a course report before, feel free to ask me questions too - especially since I don't think this forum has any course reports on Alan.

In a nutshell, I'd say this has so far been the single most invaluable diving course I have taken. I'd recommend this course - and in particular with Alan to ANYONE. I honestly now (kind of) wish I had taken Rec 1 instead of my PADI OW :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom