Fundamentals training when older

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howdy folks,
I've been recreational diving for 2 1/2 years, and have thought about Fundamentals training for some time. I really like the idea of doing the skills until they become muscle memory. Would really like the trim and buoyancy that I see with tec divers, and would also like to learn about decompression diving. I just turned 62 and am wondering if anyone has taken Fundies at a later age. I am getting myself into better shape for preparation, but would like to hear from anyone. No flame wars, please!
Thanks,
Jim
Jim, i think the comment about doing the course in two parts is solid advice. No idea what your positioning is like in the water but you’ll end up with aches in place you may not have realised you still had. At our age I find it takes just that bit longer to get our bodies in the required position and hold it there for 45 mins at a time.
(I’m 57 and just got a tech pass on my fundies)

This is why I'am excersizing more than ever in my life. Swimming an running help te releave those aches. I'am 53 by the way.

Age should not be a deterrent for training

The ocean does not differenate by age sex or race but by knowledge experience and training
The more knowledge and experienced you obtain via training the better diver you become

But remember ocean does not differenate
It can be a friend or a cruel master

SDM

YES!! What Sam said.

The most physically challenging part of the GUE Fundamentals course is the swim test, and it's not that difficult. I think it was swimming 300 meters within 14 minutes, as well as a breath-hold swim for at least 15 meters/50 feet. It helps to do lots of swimming laps before your course and practice some breath hold swims to build up your stamina and endurance if it's not something you usually do. My instructor suggested that in my practice I just keep doing as many laps as I could and I slowly did more over time. By the day of the swim test, just doing the 300 m was no issue at all.

The days are long, but I found them fun, and I had a fun group. I put aside everything else for my 4 consecutive days, was well-rested, well-fed, and well-hydrated, so that probably helped.

Good luck!

Took fundies in 2015 and my classmate was in his mid 50s. He hung right with me and passed the course as well. Do it! You won't be disappointed.

Hi Jim
I’m 55 and did the course last month. I found it really helped that I had gone through all the theory well in advance. I think it would have been difficult to get to my room after a full day and then try to understand the theory from first principles. I would definitely also recommend getting into a regular exercise regime before the course as well. If, like me, you have picked up bad habits over the years, it will take time and the use of muscles long-forgotten to get it ‘right’. Being flexible and fit will help you over that hump! I would highly recommend doing fundies as it IS fun and you can feel the difference in your diving, no matter what the eventual outcome might be.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom