Fun with Delrin part 4 - backplate and harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ragdoll

Registered
Reaction score
AFter doing all that stuff, I turned my attention to my BC. I have been using a scubapro classic for a long time and I wanted to try a BP system. I had lots of material left so I decided to play around with a flat backplate.

Initial, it was just a falt piece and nromal hog rigging, after much experimentation, I ended up with a lumbar plate and crossed wais straps. Its supa snug and comfy now.

I love it.

I also tried a delrin d ring and keeper.

The last pic shows my camera/tray in 'descent/ascent/boring dive' position.

Wow. Nice job - looks (from the photos) like you got your edge finishing problem all worked out. Did you end up flame polishing?

It scares me to think of the price on a chunk of Delrin that large. I tend to use plexiglass/acrylic as much as possible; small pieces of scrap, which often are close to the 12" x 24" maximum I can fit into the laser, are $1/lb.

The Delrin, of which there is usually no offcuts available, is many times that amount :) That backplate's got to be close to the price of a steel one...

Hello!!

I wanted to reply that thread but I left for my trips and never got round to it. Flame polishing doesnt really work .. of maybe I just dont know how to do it properly. I tried running the laser on high power making quick cuts and it worked nice but was time consuming.

I just used wet/dry sandpaper and a deburring tool on the edges. Took awhile but I I am quite happy with the finishing.

However I am wondering if theres any way to deal with the quilted textured look inherent in the delrin. I was look at the different grades of Delrin and they all habve this texture. It has a silky matt finish after sanding though. .so Im quite satisfied.

Im not Stateside, and here in Asia, Delrin is surprisingly cheap. I had a coupla SS plates of the same design cut to experiment, that cost me about 40 USD per pc. The material for the Delrin plate costs 1/2 that. of course thats just material cost.

Does anybody know anythign about the characteristics of the different types of Delrin?

ragdoll:
Does anybody know anythign about the characteristics of the different types of Delrin?

Delrin is a brand of polyacetal or polyoxymethylene. The two major producers are Ticona (Celcon) and DuPont (Delrin). Specs areon their web sites. Search ticona.com for POM or celcon and search dupont.com for delrin.

Dive safe!
Andy

How did you come up with the dims for the backplate? Did you copy an existing one? I have access to lots of scrap stainless and aluminum and would like nothing more that to try my hand at a backplate.

I used old backplates as guides as well as some pictures from the jet harness site but I played around with slot sizes, angles and plate lengths by making about 8 plywood plates before i settled on the current config. Initially, it seemed a little snug but with the lumbar plate.. its really nice.

ragdoll:
I used old backplates as guides as well as some pictures from the jet harness site but I played around with slot sizes, angles and plate lengths by making about 8 plywood plates before i settled on the current config. Initially, it seemed a little snug but with the lumbar plate.. its really nice.
it really looks nice. can you post the design? I'm working on an AL plate now, and would love to have someting to start with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom