Full Suit vs. 2 pc John Jacket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StandSure

Reaction score
Hey Everybody -

I'm a recently OW ceritified SoCal diver starting the equipment purchase process. Looking into wetsuits at the moment and was looking for opinions on the Fullsuit vs. John Jacket question.

I trained in a two piece John Jacket and found it kept me warm in SoCal waters, but it was also bulky and added a heck of lot in the bouyancy department, causing me to need additional weight. I'd like to switch to a 7mm fullsuit for comfort and convenience reasons.

Word is that a 7mm fullsuit is fine for SoCal, and that during the colder months a hooded vest added to the package will keep me perfectly comfortable. I tend to run a little hot anyway, so any marginal difference in warmth won't be a big deal to me.

What's everybody think? Is the 7mm Fullsuit with the hooded vest in colder months a good way to go?

Looking forward to your responses.

Best -

StandSure

Having the fullsuit as the base layer is better -- you get better coverage with that, i.e. skin-suit, than with the gaps between the john and the farmer (or whatever those separate pieces are called) that can circulate water. Be careful choosing a hooded vest. Some are extremely difficult to take off because since the hood is attached to the vest, you can't pull it straight off like a separate hood.

-Simon

StandSure,

I've been diving a 7mm suit in Monterey CA with just a short separate hood this winter with no problems. The suit is a "semi-dry" though, which means I get a lot less water flow through the suit ("semi-wet" would be a better name!!!). A hooded vest sounds like it will add a lot more positive bouyancy comparatively, so you'd need more lead to get you down.

Ben

Save your money, buy a Dry Suit. If you buy a 6 mil, then buy a hooded vest, then buy a 3 mil, then need another hood, then get a shorty then get a lycra or polar tech and then you're still wet and soon to be cold. Skip some of it , buy a dry suit for cold water and solve the warm water problem.

good luck don O

I dive a 7mm wetsuit in Monterey and Tahoe, without a vest, and stay warm, but it's an individual thing. You say you tend to run a little hot, so just the wetsuit might be enough.
But, I agree with Donooo. I think anyone whose main diving is cold, should get a drysuit.

Up here most people dive in a 7mm 3/2. The top is like a shorty not a shirt. The extra insulation on the chest/groin area helps a lot. I've also acquired a 5mm set of farmer johns that I can wear in warmer (ie. soft) water. And in the hight of summer, I wear just the shorty when I'm snorkeling with my son.

I pretty well always wear a bibbed hood as well.

I like the flexibility that system offers to me.

A 7mm is just too difficult to move in. Personally, I would get a 5mm, and if you need more thermal protection, get a vest/hood combo. That will put 8mm over your core, and you will be plenty warm.

This past weekend I dove the Gulf of Mexico. The water was 58 degrees at a depth of 75 feet, and with my 5mm Henderson, gloves, and a beanie I only started getting chilled after 30 minutes. If I had added the 3mm vest, I would have been just fine even after that.

I would have to agree with Big James, Right now I’m using a 6.5mm full suit to dive in Monterey, CA where the water never seems to warm up. On the extra cold days I’ll wear the hooded vest and that will keep me warm enough.

However, with the newer and warmer suits coming out, I am actually thinking of going down to a 5mm to gain a little more mobility. I figure a 5mm with the hooded vest will be more than enough.

Back
Top Bottom