Full PhD scholarship recording bubbles in divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But I thought we didn't want bubbles.

Just suppose for a minute that we did not have dive computers to predict the risk of no-DCS, mild-DCS or serious-DCS. How would we avoid DCS? Well, maybe dive nitrox to the limits of an air table, come up slowly, pad out our safety stop... That should all help. But, that sounds kinda fudgy, and the reality is... we have dive computers, so if we really want to avoid DCS then we up the conservatism on our dive computer. That's what we do to avoid DCS. How do we avoid bubbles? For example if we have a PFO and we don't want surgery, but we don't want to give up diving. Well, our diving doctors tell us to dive nitrox but set the dive computer to air, come up slowly, pad out the safety stop...

Would it not be better to have an algorithm that predicts no-Bubbles, low-Bubbles and high-Bubbles? Maybe one based on the same 16 compartments as Buhlmann, so it can run in parallel? Then anyone wanting to avoid bubbles, for whatever reason, could simply set the conservatism level on their dive computer for "no-Bubbles". Currently, however, we do not have a bubble model as freely available as the Buhlmann model, that has been validated with real-world data. This PhD project aims to contribute towards filling that knowledge gap.

I'll post this on my grad/prospective grad student groups!

Too bad I already got my PhD spot, but I prefer non-human subjects anyway

I passed it on to my DSO at UC Berkeley, and now much or all of the UC system, and an AAUS board member. Sounds really cool.

Plus we are building a pool inside our new $2.4Million multiplace chamber for some controlled dives, so a combination of fieldwork and experimental work.
Holy cow, that must be some big chamber. Are there photos online anywhere? I'm not a PhD candidate, just interested in seeing your chamber.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom