Full Foot vs. Open Heel Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something else to consider, open heel fins are great if your feet are slightly different sizes (like me). I was always losing one of my full foot fins.

holy sh!t toriz, how much bigger is one foot than the other? lol

Waterskier, for you I would recomend open heel fins, only because I see you are in the Springs. I dont believe that a full foot worn in warm water would fit over the thick boots you will be wearing in CO.

If you plan to snorkel, go with open heel.

Open heels are great here in St. Kitts (temporarily relocated) because using booties give some protection from the urchins and fire coral, not to mention rocky beaches. Regarding your thoughts about the Tusa Zooms, they're the kind I use. They're the ones with a pre-formed bend just below the end of the foot pocket, supposed to maximize kicking efficiency. I haven't used any other fins to compare them to, but I find that they're pretty easy to maneuver and propel pretty well. I mostly snorkel out here and one thing about the Tusas is that, because of the angle in them, the ends of the fins are splashing out of the water when I'm kicking on the surface. Does anyone else have this problem? I've read mostly good things about Apollo Bio-fins so if I ever change, I'd probably try these out first.

i use the tusa zooms open heel style... & i love them. I almost bought the full foot but after my 1st shore dive I was glad to have the boot around my feet on the way in and out... plus the heel strap makes carrying them a breeze in surf. The dive shop owner told me the full foot were less "hardy" ...(i.e. they tend to crack easier than open heel)... not sure if that is true or he was looking for the upsale but i'm glad i went for the open heel anyway. Enjoy your new fins!

I used to use full foot fins on my beach dives until I burned the bottom of the feet. So I went to open heel and have not gone back.

Felon_Monk:
holy sh!t toriz, how much bigger is one foot than the other? lol

Okay smart a$s not that much-- only enough to annoy with full foot fins. Hence the reason for posting.

:mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner:

Assuming where you'll be diving is warm enough I'd go with full-foot (but I own both types). The problems I see with open heels are straps and clips breaking. While you should have spares, that only really helps when on the boat or shore (I've yet to see a diver with spare fin straps in thier bcd, but I'm sure they exist). I also find (for me) that full foots are more comfortable. Finally full foots are easier to get off quickly when boat diving.
The main consideration on your fin purchase should be (in order):conditions of your regular dives (temp and shore/boat), comfort, and price.
warm temps(70+ degrees) and boat dives:full foot
cold temps and shore dives:eek:pen heel

Thanks for all the responses! I just bought a pair of open heel Tusa Zooms. I do plan on using them here in Colorado, and Lake Powell, UT, and also in the Caribbean. In most cases, I would be needing some sort of foot protection (either against the cold or against the rocks on shore). I am still amazed at the price difference between the two, unless, like one poster said, there is a difference in the thickness between the two.

Waterskier1:
Thanks for all the responses! I just bought a pair of open heel Tusa Zooms. I do plan on using them here in Colorado, and Lake Powell, UT, and also in the Caribbean. In most cases, I would be needing some sort of foot protection (either against the cold or against the rocks on shore). I am still amazed at the price difference between the two, unless, like one poster said, there is a difference in the thickness between the two.
ScubaPro makes a boot with a sneaker kind of bottom to it, it's what I use and you won't be sorry you got them. I wear them in MO and in warm water too.

Back
Top Bottom