Full Foot vs. Open Heel Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got Black and Blue. I am really surprised how wide they are. I wear a size 9 and got the Medium size, but there is no way I could wear these without some sort of bootie. I do have a 3 mm bootie, but was hoping I could wear them with out anything too. I will try them out in Aruba next week. :D

Waterskier, the Tusa is highly rated, especially good for the price. I want to clear up one thing. The decision whether to use or not use a boot is not relevant to the choice of fin type, or vice versa. I don't understand how that fog got started unless it is due to instructors and shop owners. For years, I dove the cold azzed waters of southern California. I always used boots. Primarily, I was engaged in freediving, spearfishing for white sea bass and yellowtail. I also used tanks when scallop diving. Back in the day, the Duckfoot was a popular fin and I used these open heel fins for many years. Later, after Terry Maas was seen with a pair of those unusual "long fins", our group switched to Cressi free diving fins which were the full foot type (closed heel). We didn't change our footwear; 1/4 inch boots were de rigeur as usual. Fin sizes were selected with this in mind (duh).

looks like the bases are covered, but the two considerations are 1) foot protection for shore entry. and 2) thermal protection. I would go with the least that you can get away with! Good luck.

Dive safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom