Full Foot vs. Open Heel Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterskier1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at some split fins. I'm considering the Tusa Zoom's, ScubaPro Twin-Jet and BioPro's. All come in either full foot or open heel. I think I would prefer the open heel for ease of putting them on and taking them off, but what other things should I be considering? The first two have a very significant difference in price (like $35-$45 for full foot versus almost $100 and up for the open heel). As an engineer, I can't see what in the materials or manufacturing processes would justify that difference, so I'm guessing it must be demand? Can some of you with much more experience shed some light? For the price difference, I'm considering the full foot version.

Thanks!

I have both type of fins. When I'm diving here in CA, I need booties to keep my feet from freezing, so open heel fins are required. If I'm diving in warm water, I use the full foot fins (although many of my buddies use their open heel fins there also). I like using full foot fins whenever possible because it makes me feel more connected to the ocean somehow. If I'm doing a beach dive in warm water, I use my open heel fins with booties that are shorter than normal.

As for the cost differential ... can't justify that, except possible the buckle and strap assembly might add cost to the open heel type. Also, my open heel boots seem to be more rugged and heavier, which might increase the manufacturer's cost.

Full-foot fins don't always have to be worn barefoot. Indeed, full-foot UNI Bio Fins are designed to be used over some form of foot protection so they may be worn in all conditions:

"Designed to provide optimum performance with or without a boot; UNI can also be used for cold water. Size it right: A full foot pocket allows for a closer fit and you may need a different size when using with socks or boots."

http://www.apollo-europe.com/biofins.html

Thanks for the comments. I do realize that there are cases where I"d want to wear booties/socks for exposure (cold or rocks), but for the price difference I could get 3-5 sets of full foot fins for the same price as one open heel - something just doesn't seem right.

I agree the price jump is a little excessive but I like the open heel fins so I can use my boots with a heavy sole to protect my feet from sharp things. Plus my feet stay much warmer with the boots.

I haven't tried, since all the fins I've used to date have been open heel, but can you get an oversized full foot fin that will accept a boot? I plan on using the fins for snorkeling in the caribbean in addition to scuba, and many of the places will be shore dives, so boots would be nice.

If you plan to snorkel, go with open heel. I can't tell you how many times I've sunk barefoot into knee deep muck because I had to take my fins off to avoid losing them. Aside from the nasty factor, you never know what's down there and cutting you foot on a sharp rock doesn't make it on to my fun scale.

Personally, I've found that full foot fins tend to pinch or rub my feet from time to time, and creates sores. Don't have the same problem with open heel fins. I also like the idea of the protection that wearing shoes gives in the water.

Here in Okinawa, Booties are a must. And we also get felt bottoms to stop the sea urchin (which are EVERYWHERE) from penetrating the soles of the booties. I say, if your doing shore dives, stick with open heel fins, If your in a cold enviornment, stick with open heel fins. i say, stick with open heel fins because you can use them in any situation, where closed heel fins you can mainly only use in certain enviornments such as boat dives.. and i dont think they make an oversized fin to fit a boot into.. just the socks.

Waterskier1:
I am looking at some split fins. I'm considering the Tusa Zoom's, ScubaPro Twin-Jet and BioPro's. All come in either full foot or open heel. I think I would prefer the open heel for ease of putting them on and taking them off, but what other things should I be considering? The first two have a very significant difference in price (like $35-$45 for full foot versus almost $100 and up for the open heel). As an engineer, I can't see what in the materials or manufacturing processes would justify that difference, so I'm guessing it must be demand? Can some of you with much more experience shed some light? For the price difference, I'm considering the full foot version.

Thanks!
Couple of comments. I see you mentioned the ScubaPro Twin Jets. Check out the ScubaPro Twin Speeds, they're a much better fin than the Twin Jets.

As to full foot vs open, your profile says you live in CO which to me means you'll be doing a lot of fresh water diving, like I do in MO. You need a good boot with a hard sole otherwise you'll be replacing them every year because the rocks getting in and out of the water will rip them to shreads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom