full-foot vs. open-heel fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darnold9999:
I would be worried that I would kick out of a full foot fin on a bootie. As you get to depth the bootie is going to crush and now you have a fin that is just waiting to fall off. maybe with rock boots, but even then you have some compression.

Having kicked out rental fins when I really really needed them I would not go this route. Forgot to pack my own fins:06:

Good point about bootie compression.

I had a buddy a couple years ago who used to use full foot fins with a 3mm boot. It seemed to work ok for him in the water and compression at depth was not an issue, but he usually struggled to get them on.

In his case they were full foot versions of open heel fins (Scubapro Sea Wings) so he was not losing anything in terms of blade size. He felt they were more efficient as they are more streamlined and I have seen studies to support his claim.

But none of this ever moved me to the point of wanting to switch to full foot fins.

Aquanaut10, Get a cheap pair of full heel fins for trips to warmer climates. I use Sherwood Shoreline full heel fins. Purchased them for about $30. They are lightweight, easy to put on (out of the water and in the water). They are no harder to put on than open heel fins. Mine go on like slippers. I have never kick out of them and I have pushed full force with them although I think if you are going that fast you are missing all the great stuff. Slow down and enjoy the ride.

If you want extra warmth, I use a neoprene sock. Its enough to add warmth but does not compress enough to make any difference at depth. It also provide grip for those shore dives where you have to walk across slippery rocks. They wouldn't help for a sea urchin, but neither would my boots if the spine hit the side. Easier to just to take small steps and look where you are walking.

If the boat requires you to remove fins before you climb the ladder, its actually quite easy. Just remove them and stick your thumb in the heel. Makes it easy to climb the ladder and you will not loose your fins.

I wear full foots exclusively unless it gets really cold and wouldn't have it any other way. I wear 3mm socks with them and find that they are far more streamlined and efficient. No problem with ladders or boat decks. I usually wear the socks all day during multiple drops and they are not that slippery. Hook your thumbs in the foot pockets when getting out of the water. I've never had a fullfoot break but have had many fin straps give it up. All of my full foots go on my feet with hardly no effort and I don't have to make any adjustments. Try them out, you may like them.

Other than very small "pool fins" all the full foot fins ive seen have been the same make/model as open heel (you can get Quattros etc in both formats). The boots dont weigh much and dont take up a lot of space.

I just take my normal open heel fins and some neoprene wet boots abroad with me.

Open heel is the only way!

I gave up strap fins in 1979 and will never go back, for the diving I do. Almost all boat diving. I used strap fins for the first 7 years, but they are way too slow and have too much drag.

I use long freedive full foot fins, with neoprene socks. Even the same long fins with straps lose the streamlining and power transmission.

Some of the ladies I dive with have feet too small for them, so they wear 3mm hard sole boots to fill them out. They don't compress enough to matter, just like they don't for strap fin divers. They slip their feet out of the whole boot to get out quickly.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom