Full Face Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster:
They make a weight kit for them that adds a pound or so and makes them neutrally bouyant in the water.

I've seen them, but my mask doesn't have the attachment lugs for them. The new visor will, so that will be an option in the future if still needed. Thanks.

-Ben

MikeFerrara:
I have 2 problems with them. They don't fit and they mess up the equipment configuration I prefer to dive in a few ways. One is how air sharing is done and the other is what you have to do to switch gasses.
Mike,
I can see that a full faced mask would throw off the whole long hose 2nd stage & bungeed octo scenario.
How do you deal with ooa situation with a full face mask?
Jeffrey

miskatonic:
My face was freezing on the last Monterey dive. I might just go that way myself. It also takes a lot more air to clear those masks.

FYI: While it's no drysuit, the mares isotherm comes with a very nice hood which covers and seals everything except very small cheek patches. I hardly felt any cold in 48deg F water with this setup. I was quite impressed for the price.

I have to say, I find it interesting how many opinions there are on full face masks. I don't know of any other equipment that is more misunderstood. First off, with proper training, the equipment is very safe to use. Although it wasn't mentioned in this thread, I've seen it in others that say they are dangerous. The act of breathing underwater is dangerous without the proper training. More people have been saved with the use of FFMs than have ever been hurt. Convulse or go unconscious underwater without one and survival is unlikely.

As to an increase in air consumption, I use the same amount as I did with a bite mouthpiece. Like any piece of advanced equipment, you'll get better with it the more you use it. It does take a good fit of the equipment and practice.

Bouyancy of the mask is fairly insignificant. Now, I'm talking about the Divator MKII (AGA mask). I find that most people that complain about the mask being bouyant as well as jaw fatigue over tighten the top strap. Improper adjustment of the mask will result in a bad experience with the equipment.

Out of air, well, I did that once. March 1979. Haven't done it since, for good reason. But, if you do, you'll need to either bail out of the mask and go to an alternate airsource or plan a contingency with a manifold. As Mike F explained, gas switching can be an issue. I'd bet though that the vast majority of the diving done by most, this shouldn't be an issue. As Mike explained, the masks are very difficult to flood.

There are three basic reasons to dive full face masks. Environmental, physiological and communications. I dive the AGA to use communications, although I also dive occasionally in water that I want to limit my exposure to as well. There are some masks that are better than others. One in particular, I wouldn't recommend to anyone. If you want to see some videos with audio of the communications, I have a couple online. Send me a PM and I'll send the link. Sorry, but I have to limit the bandwidth a little.

Heffey:
Mike,
I can see that a full faced mask would throw off the whole long hose 2nd stage & bungeed octo scenario.
How do you deal with ooa situation with a full face mask?
Jeffrey

I just don't run out. LOL But if you did, aside from trying to use quick disconnects or something, you need to remove the mask to accept another reg. You would then don your spare mask.

mntdiver:
More people have been saved with the use of FFMs than have ever been hurt. Convulse or go unconscious underwater without one and survival is unlikely.

I heard a story about student comercial divers sleeping under water. It's a little different setup, they were using a "hard hat" with surface supplied air. I guess if you have to spend hours and hours under water after a night of partying a few of them might fell asleep in class now and then.

I tried one a couple of times, not really for me. I know a bunch of divers that love them. My Captain and his buddy use them while they spearfish. I love the idea of being able to talk to the Bridge while I'm underwater DM'ing for charters (so long as you don't make the mistake of talking on the wrong....ahemmm....channel)..

The only thing I can really add here, is definelty seek proper training. I watched one of the guys I was out "toying " with damn near drown, he forgot to close the surface vents before descending ( :laughing: ) , I thought he was going to drown back on the surface but he certainly recovered harmless and continued the dive (hurt the ol' pride a bit) (hehehehe, and if your reading this Shane, love ya babe.... mean it....hehehehehe)

All in all, I say give it a go... Find somewhere to rent them that will offer a 101 class along with it..

Good luck!

Hi there

Can any one who has a full face mask help me with these questions I have I would be most grateful I am looking to buy an aga full face mask I currently own a Neptune 2 full face mask but I am not happy with it because the purge button keeps getting stuck causing a free flow.

I would like a black age full face mask with a low volume vise and an ABV-1 fitted
But I have had some trouble trying to find places to buy in the UK
I am looking to purchase online

Can any one help suggest some sites

Thank you

One last thing dose any one now how the mask is suppose to warn you when it gets to 65bar what dose it do make a lowed beep ore something

aga mk2:
Hi there

Can any one who has a full face mask help me with these questions I have I would be most grateful I am looking to buy an aga full face mask I currently own a Neptune 2 full face mask but I am not happy with it because the purge button keeps getting stuck causing a free flow.

I can't help with your aga questions but the purge on the neptune is, of course, the puge on the second stage. I would check the second stage out first. Another thing that can cause a free flow is a leak in the mask seal.

If you are using the reg mounted in the front you need to adjust it as you change positions. Since the reg is further from your mouth than when you have a mouth piece the change in breathing resistance (between looking down and looking up) is more onticeable. It will breath fine while looking down or foreward but harder as you look up. If you adjust it so it breath too good in the harder positions it will flow some in the better positions. Neptune recommends adjusting it so it works well over the range of positions you're most often in and leaving it but I tweak mine as needed. A reg mounted on the side of the mask doesn't have this problem (at least not as much or in the same directions) because of the orientation of the diaphragm.

As long as the mask fits and the problem isn't the seal you shouldn't need to replace the mask to solve this problem.

I don't know what your background is but a FFM course is probably useful for most divers who are new to them. Neptune has a course outline for the use of their mask that they authorize instructor dealers to teach though it doesn't result in a certification because they're not a certification agency. I had what was basically their outline that had been modified to be less brand specific that was approved as a PADI FFM "distinctive" specialty.

Hi there

Can any one who has a full face mask help me with these questions I have I would be most grateful I am looking to buy an aga full face mask
I would like a black age full face mask with a low volume vise and an ABV-1 fitted
But I have had some trouble trying to find places to buy in the UK
I am looking to purchase online

Can any one help suggest some sites

Thank you

One last thing dose any one now how the mask is suppose to warn you when it gets to 65bar what dose it do make a lowed beep ore something

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom