Full Face Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heffey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
On a recent trip to my LDS I saw a full face mask displayed behind the counter.
What are the pros and cons of these masks and is there any special training needed to use them?
Thanks,
Jeffrey

Jeff,

The Pro's:

(1) Great vision--like a picture window
(2) Insulates face--you are warmer in cold water
(3) Allows use of comm equipment

The Con's:

(1) You use more air
(2) You need to carry a secondary mask
(3) More expensive than a standard mask

Training:

You need to be able to remove it and replace it with another regulator and secondary mask--tasks which are slightly more complicated than standard remove and replace of mask, but not greatly so

Great for cold water diving (I use an Interspiro AGA). The only thing I dislike about mine is the boyancy caused by the high volume. Otherwise it's great. Edited to add: It's nice to be able to breathe through your nose. That plus not having a mouthpiece tends to have me swallowing more frequently and not getting dry mouth like I do with a conventional reg. The only compelling reason for me though is avoiding the COLD.

-Ben

My face was freezing on the last Monterey dive. I might just go that way myself. It also takes a lot more air to clear those masks.

airsix:
The only thing I dislike about mine is the boyancy caused by the high volume. Otherwise it's great. -Ben
Is the buoyancy issue just related to your overall buoyancy or is it having the extra buoyancy attached to your head that is the issue?

Heffey:
Is the buoyancy issue just related to your overall buoyancy or is it having the extra buoyancy attached to your head that is the issue?

Not overall boyancy. Just that the mask wants to 'float' because of it's high internal volume. When your body is neutrally boyant and your head is possitively boyant your neck gets a workout. I actually have a "low profile" visor on order which is supose to reduce the boyancy. With the current configuration (high-volume visor) I actually get a neck ache by the end of a >1 hour dive from trying to hold my head down. It's still better than freezing my face, but I hope the new low-volume visor helps the floaty-face situation. :)

-Ben

I was out on a charter with 2 members of the RCMP dive team last summer.... they actually told me their air consumption is less in the full face masks than a normal reg. Any use of comms drives gas use way up apparently....

chris

Heffey:
Why? Is this only if you are using a comm system or is it just the nature of the beast?

airsix:
Great for cold water diving (I use an Interspiro AGA). The only thing I dislike about mine is the boyancy caused by the high volume.
They make a weight kit for them that adds a pound or so and makes them neutrally bouyant in the water.

Heffey:
Why(do you use more air)? Is this only if you are using a comm system or is it just the nature of the beast?
A good seal is important to reduce air consumption. Some masks can also be set up as positive pressure systems and higher gas consumption is pretty much the nature of the beast with them.

miskatonic:
My face was freezing on the last Monterey dive. I might just go that way myself. It also takes a lot more air to clear those masks.

You really don't need to clear them. If you have a leak in the seal it just free flows. You almost have to take the mask off to get any water in it. If th seal cracks the air want to go up and out...drawing on the reg just as if you were sucking on it. As long as enough air is going out the seal break, no water will come in.

I have 2 problems with them. They don't fit and they mess up the equipment configuration I prefer to dive in a few ways. One is how air sharing is done and the other is what you have to do to switch gasses. I have a couple and I always figured I'd use them for long O2 deco but I haven't. We do take them to the quarry to play with them once in a while though.

I'd sell em cheap so feel free to PM me any one...oh I have the ocean reefs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom