Full face masks for COVID-19 therapy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Angelo Farina

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
An Italian medical doctor, with the help of a 3D printing workshop, managed to adapt full face snorkelling masks to be used for forced ventilation of patients with Covid-19:
90413730_10221432224737801_4232047571301826560_n.jpg

DIY respirators to save lifes in the COVID crisis
It’s working!

Nice.
What little I know about ventilating a patient isn't much. I thought that inserting tubes was essential and here I see that you can have a positive effect with just a few hundred pascals of pressure switched on and off at steady intervals.
Good work!

Michael

I work in healthcare. That is less than ideal, but it would work. The risk for transmission would be higher than with a closed loop used in standard intubation though. There is also a higher risk for leaks, loss of positive pressure, but necessity is the mother of invention and who knows, given the shortage, this may save lives.

I work in healthcare. That is less than ideal, but it would work. The risk for transmission would be higher than with a closed loop used in standard intubation though. There is also a higher risk for leaks, loss of positive pressure, but necessity is the mother of invention and who knows, given the shortage, this may save lives.
The snorkelling mask is a replacement for not-invasive assisted ventilation, replacing an "helmet" like this one:
1735191980.jpg

Here more info: StarMed CaStar Up openable hood for CPAP therapy

Attachments

• 1371969697.jpg
    1371969697.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 80
I have never been a fan of these snorkeling masks... except now!
Hope it will help a lot of people.

Stay safe everyone.

All of these maneuvers are well intentioned and if we are told they work, we can take their word for now. Deliver the oxygen needed and take the C02 away. That's the goal keeping in mind you want to minimize viral particles in the air. Best of luck to our Italian friends who are struggling so much.

If it requires 50 psi to inflate a hardened and damaged lung how would that pressure be maintained with a FFM sealed to your face?

This is not a substitution for standard endotracheal tube ventilation but rather CPAP (positive pressure ventilation) with rebreather type high Oxygen delivery system. Very clever. Would work well for vast majority of patients who need mild or moderate respiratory support. It is safer for the patient as it will not require sedation and eliminates some other risks associated with intubation. Great example of repurposing existing technology when in a pinch.

If it requires 50 psi to inflate a hardened and damaged lung how would that pressure be maintained with a FFM sealed to your face?
This is for not-extreme patient conditions. Only 1 of 5 patients require intubation, the other 4 just need not-invasive assisted ventilation with pure oxygen at positive pressure.
Here a video showing how to modify the Decathlon mask:
Note that the exhaust valve is reversed, which allows to maintain positive pressure inside the mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom