Full Face Mask - Ocean Reef Neptune II ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yuri_RP

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello Sir,

I'm Yuri from Indonesia.
I'm currently looking for a Full Face Mask, got a good deal on an Ocean Reef Neptune II but still doing research and comparison with other Brands.
The thing is not many Brands of Full Face Mask are sold in Indonesia.
I currently only have access to these Brands: ScubaPro FFM, Apeks FFM, Gull Japan Mantis FFM, Ocean Reef Neptune II and Neptune Space G. Divers
The cheapest Option for me would be the Gull Mantis FFM which I believe is also the same thing as this (Shop | Ocean Technology Systems)
But since I got a good deal on the Ocean Reef Neptune II, the price is almost the same.
All the other Brands available for me is more expensive than those 2 mentioned above.

My preference is for an FFM that can use my Existing Regulator, but an FFM that has built in Regulator is fine also.
Also looking to install UW Communication Device in the future, but probably not right now.
Should I buy FFM that are available locally (for Warranty and ease of service) or do you think it's okay if I buy the FFM overseas?
This will be my first FFM and I want this to last long time, so I need to think on this before making a decision.

Please share your opinion and suggestion on this matter.

Thank you for your attention and reply. :)

Regards,

Yuri

Hi Yuri. What kind of a deal are you getting?

You can typically get a used Ocean Reef Neptune Space rigged with comm units for $500-800 in the U.S. Getting it serviced will cost an additional $100-150 in the U.S.

IIRC the Neptune II has an option to accept a standard reg. You may need to request this option when you order. The Neptune Space does not accept standard regs afaik. However the regulator accepts any standard regulator hose, so it can go into a first stage.

You plan on practicing mask removal and switching to an octopus, right? Practicing this is a *must* in case you run out of air or have a free flow. Make sure you carry a half mask, too.

I can get those items at these prices:

Mask:
-Gull Mantis Full Face Mask : ±USD 245
-Ocean Reef Neptune II (On Close Out Sale - Last 2 items - I will have to buy 2 units the get these prices, might share with other interested buyer) : ±USD 363
-Ocean Reef Neptune Space G.Diver : ±USD 643
-Ocean Reef Neptune Space G.Diver with Comms : ±USD 1000
-ScubaPro Full Face Mask : ±USD 487

Accessories:
-Gull Mantis Full Face Mask Air Valve : ±USD 120
-Ocean Reef G. Diver Surface Air Valve : ±USD 47
-Ocean Reef Optical Lens Support : ±USD 20
-ScubaPro Full Face Mask Air Valve : ±USD 50

I'm nearsighted so I will need Correction Lens for my Mask.
Gull Mantis support Ready Made Lens while Ocean Reef has the Optical Lens Support, don't know about ScubaPro.

I believe the Neptune II will come with the Regulator Adapter, so I believe I will be able to fit my existing Regs.

Next week I will be taking my Advance Open Water exam and I plan on bringing the Full Face Mask and practice it on Pool with my Instructor before heading to Open Water.
I will make sure to always carry spare half-mask too. :)

Will need to make a decision soon, only have one week to decide which mask to buy. :)

Looking for more suggestions.

I haven't dove some of those brands. I have dove an ocean reef. Along with the OTS Guardian it's pretty common in the U.S. The ocean reef is a great mask with a wide field of view. The OTS Guardian arguably is better when it comes to reliability, underwater comms, and being able to take a beating, but Ocean Reef is not a bad choice at the prices you're getting.

If the mask doesn't come with a regulator adapter, it will screw into a standard 1st stage regulator port. You can also buy a quick disconnect to make it a whole lot easier to set up your gear.

How many dives do you have? It sounds like you're involved in the dive industry so I'm assuming you have a lot, but I just wanted to be sure. I recommend at least 50 dives before switching to a full face mask; others recommend 100.

For new divers reading this, a full face mask is not any old regulator. It's a bit more work to dive and you need to know what you're doing with your existing gear. Having good buoyancy and situational awareness with your existing gear is also very important. You need to be able to competently handle emergencies that may arise (IE if the mask floods, if you run out of air, if there is a free flow). The full face mask also makes it a bit harder to look down if you're trying to fix things on your gear. So it's really important to have the basics of scuba diving worked out before getting a full face mask. Finally there's nothing funnier than a new guy on a $30K Ducati 1299 who can't ride a motorcycle to save his life. You don't have to be perfect but don't be the guy swimming on the bottom or always popping to the surface or swimming with their hands. And it's always nice to have the skills to match your flashy, expensive dive gear (or motorcycle, or skydiving rig, or aircraft).

This is a pretty good blog that goes into some of the different masks out there as well as what sort of training you should do before diving with one and to stay current with one:

TheDiveO/Int'l: Diving Full Face Masks

I am a little bit more laid back than this guy, but you do have to drill and practice a lot. My building has an indoor pool, and 3x/year I'll spend two hours practicing flooding, removing the mask, switching to an Octo, and putting it back on, sometimes while hovering. I also practice removing and replacing my BCD. It's trickier with more gear, especially if you get a pony bottle and gas switching block.

Last edited:
I'm still an Open Water Diver with 19 Logs.
I first tried Scuba Diving on March 2015 and fell in love with it, started buying and selling Scuba gear even before I got my certification on May 2015. :D
Now I sell Scuba Gear in Indonesia as Distributor for xDEEP and some other Brands.

Basically I'm still a very inexperienced diver, I rarely dive also since my city is inland far from sea (hence my still low number of Logs since May 2015), I do always practice in pool at least once a week though.
I plan on getting my Advance Open Water license next weekend, gonna do Pool Session for 1 day and then off to sea for 2 days.
I plan on buying the mask in the next few days so I have the chance to practice it at Pool with my OW instructor, and will bring it to AOW Pool Session to practice it again with my AOW Instructor (different person and in a different city).
My OW Instructor never dove in FFM but my AOW Instructor has them.

I've read the FFM Blog that you refer to, learned quite a lot from it, planning to practice it as soon as I get the FFM.

I'm aware that you suggest minimum of 50 dives before trying FFM, what do you think of me trying FFM with my current position?

I hate to say it, but you may not be there yet. This answer might be different in six months. And it will almost certainly be different in a couple years if you stay involved in diving.

For a variety of reasons (some of which I've outlined) diving a full face mask is very different from diving a standard reg. Namely- if you lose your air, you also lose your ability to see. I know you've done a lot of pool dives and I'm giving you credit for that, but at 19 open water dives, there's a lot of "oh-s___" moments you haven't experienced yet. Having a simpler set of gear- IE where you can look down more easily or just spit out your reg in an OOA- keeps you safer and helps you learn better, too.

I'd definitely do the AOW class and definitely read the blog and definitely pursue some deep dives. I'd just hold off and wait until you hit 35-40 open water dives (and several more pool dives) before diving an FFM. (At your current rate this will happen in six months)

This also gives you an opportunity to save up for the Neptune Space.

Thank you very much for your suggestion, Sir.
Will rethink about my plan then.

But the thing is the Ocean Reef Neptune II is on Sale right now, and I think it is a very good deal (I might even resell it).
Do you think I should buy it right now and keep it for later use, or just pass on it?
I'm still pondering the difference between the Neptune II and the Neptune Space G. Divers.
If there are no big difference then I will jump on the Neptune II, since I will be using my own Regs after all.

Thank you very much for your suggestion, Sir.
Will rethink about my plan then.

But the thing is the Ocean Reef Neptune II is on Sale right now, and I think it is a very good deal (I might even resell it).
Do you think I should buy it right now and keep it for later use, or just pass on it?
I'm still pondering the difference between the Neptune II and the Neptune Space G. Divers.
If there are no big difference then I will jump on the Neptune II, since I will be using my own Regs after all.
There's a barely used neptune II on craigslist for $250. Even after shipping, I am not sure you're getting the best price.

Dive Mask

There will be other opportunities. Don't jump the gun.

Back
Top Bottom