• Neptune

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Scuba Pro

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Started diving full face masks with the fire department S&R team. realized how much nicer it was to have a warm face while diving, and used a lot less air when I could breathe through my nose, so I got my own.
I have an AGA with the grey rubber which seams to stand up a little better than the silicone. My mask has the positive pressure reg, I didn't have a choice since I bought it for a great deal from our FD supplier. A few of us got them at the same time the FD ordered a few new ones.
Given the choice I would not buy another one for rec use with the positive pressure. Its required if you're going to dive in any possibility of contaminated water. But for rec use it will burn up your gas supply faster when you twist your head or have a tiny leak around your face. I am due for replacement soon, so maybe I will try one of the silicone masks with the demand reg...:eek:ut:

I use a RSV block from sartek, works, but I don't think its worth the price he charges for it. I got mine on ebay. the second inlet has an AIR-II quck disconnect on it and my back up reg and deco bottles all have AIR-II hoses on them, so its just a matter of switching hoses and flipping the valve. works well but a little bulky on the mask.

The field of view downwards could be improved, and people tell me the new posidon mask is better in this respect so if I get the chance I'll try one when I can.
Untill then, I still dive both ways, with a FFM and standard regs, depending on what I'm doing in the water...:whack:

I wear a Aga positive pressure grey rubber full face mask, I love it, but it does have its drawbacks, unless you are made of money and have a gil or surface breathing value. Long swims are not good you are breathing your back gas, and being a technical diver i hate the fact that i cant look down at my chest to see things attached to d-rings. I have had mine down to 140ft a buddy of mine has had his 260ft. This weekend we had a long surface swim so i switched out the aga to a sherwood blizzard, at about 140ft the blizzard popped and was freeflowing, i wished at that moment i hadn't of switched out my aga!!! I will always dive deep with a full face mask, it does suck having to transfer to a mask and reg when decompressing..

I have just been diving for about 6 months now and would like to try using a full face mask, any advice from you guys? Should there be any additional training I could take??

Find a place to take a training course, you really want to know the right way to adjust the unit and how to perform your emergency procedures...

I would try to find someone who will allow you to train on several different masks so you can make an educated decision on what to purchase. Cost is the last factor you should consider in purchase of a mask, the decent units are pretty comparable.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions,

Jeff Lane

http://www.adp.fsu.edu/HistoryOfDiving/index.html

Here is some info on a few types of mask to get started, I should have something up on the Poisidon soon also...

I have taken a photo of my FFM rig. The rig is laid out flat so you can see.

In the center is a Kirby Morgan Manifold Block with an extra auxillary valve. This manifold mounts on the left shoulder strap of my BP/WG to allow ease of use with my right hand to turn on / off gas supplied.

The two supply lines feeding the block from the bottom are equipped with industrial quick disconnects that cap gas flow from either end when disconnected. These are the same quick diconnects used by commercial divers up to 1000 feet on bail out bottles.

The supply lines feed from the tank under my left arm. Typically, I dive with a 119 tank on my back and a bail out tank in front of me. I can turn on or off either supply with ease. Also, if I wanted to hang a stage bottle, I can equip that with a QD and plug it in to my manifold block continuing to use my FFM.

My FFM, BC inflator, drysuit inflator and backup regulator all are fed from the manifold block. The only items attached to a 1st stage are a quick disconnect line, a pressure gauge and LP relief valve.

Thats one kick ass setup there.
Do you use a quick disconnect for the mask?

I am thinking about it,,, I have the QD and hose fittings to put one in. With the Oxycheq 360 swivel, it is pretty easy to just unscrew that from the FFM.

A freind of mine with an AGA is contemplating doing a similar rig. Might add another QD hose to each manifold to allow plugging into either of ours air supply. Of course, can always keep an inflator to use for lift bags on that QG hose.

I have been using the AGA with a local search and rescue team, it seems all right and I appreciate it in contaminated water. Recenlty I purchased 14 Kirby Morgans at an auction as they got grant money to purchase new units. I plan on keeping a couple for personal use as well as for training Handi cap divers with the Wounded Warrior Program that I am developing. A couple of questions. These are set up wor communication hard lines, where is the best place to get squack boxes for these units. I will be selling these extra units as I don't need that many, they are in excellent condition. They are full face band masks with regulators and communications systems built in.

Which masks do you have? KMB18's? What EM's (ear/mics) are installed? Could you take a couple of photos of the masks and comms that are on them. Most band masks will be set up for two wire communications. Note the connectors or terminals. From there, you can determine what type of intercom you can use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom