Full circle -- my first night as a DM in training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I got in the water, I watched students trying to model what I was doing, and it felt amazing to be one of the "good divers" that I remember watching, dumbfounded, as I floundered underwater.

I had exactly the same reaction last summer when I was doing my DM internship! I had been diving for three years and, like you, remembered quite well my floundering.

The students who will be learning with you and Peter are truly lucky. Good luck as a DM!

It was quite a trip last night! Here it was, my first "real" class with me as the Lead Instructor -- giving the directions to my "assistant instructor" (who was one of MY OW instructors!) and the DMs. I won't say that I was a basket case, but.....

It was so much fun for me to hear Lynne gush about how much fun SHE had had -- and I really did have to twist her arm to sign up for the DM program. I doubt she'll be a DM for very long because she loves teaching (and is so good at teaching) herself.

CC -- Yes, she only got certified 4 years ago (4 years this week if I remember correctly) and yes, she now has over 800 dives with more than 100 of those underground. It's not that she/we dive every weekend (we don't) but that we just dive often -- and when we go on a dive trip (about every two months) dive a lot.

This is going to be FUN!!!

What a great experience! Your having fun will rub off on the students too..they will notice and it will make it that much more special for them.

Man, y'all are going to put out some great students!

Jeff

You'll find that many new students may find the instructor not as approachable as you being the "assistant." They'll be more at ease talking over points of interest and learning with you.

To this day for all of the instruction, I still love to DM a class. Since few, if any, students even know what a "Course Director" is they treat me like another assistant.

I never get tired of seeing those faces reflecting that feeling of accomplishment. Remember, even if you work a hundred classes, it's their first one for that class - every time. It'll keep that fresh fun aspect alive forever.

And have fun!

I wish I had the time (and know-how, actually) to find the post you made a year or two ago in which you said something to the effect that you could not be an instructor because you knew there were so many divers who were so much better than you were. I replied that I thought you would make an excellent instructor because it is more than just impeccable diving skills that make one effective when working with students. Anyone reading the helpful posts you provide to those with questions would guess that you would quickly master the art (and it is a combination of science and art) of teaching.

Congratulations on your entry to this world!

Awesome Lynne. Glad you will be sharing your well articulated insights face-2-face. It's great to watch students faces when they get their first taste of neutral bouyancy underwater.
Best of luck. You will be a great DM.

Congratulations, Lynne!!!!! :hugs:

Sounds like you're entering another great chapter in your exciting diving career. You are such an inspiration to me and to anyone who reads your SB posts.

You'll find that many new students may find the instructor not as approachable as you being the "assistant."

I have to disagree here,well just a bit.

Most student reactions I heard where, I'll go to the dive MASTER
He/she must be more important,cause you're JUST an instructor and he/she is a MASTER.:rofl3:

Happend multiple times.:D

Glad to hear that you'll be sharing your insights and observations with a whole new generation of divers.

DM'ing is fun, primarily for seeing it when your students "get it."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom