Fuji Finepix F11/F10 UW Settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1fastcat

Registered
Reaction score
Hi to all,
Just got the new Fuji F11 camera w/UW housing (chose it over the DC500 and others due to its perceived robust features (full manual control), excellent CCD, and 1600 speed options).

Since this is a souped up version of the F10, I was hoping to get some feedback on UW settings that F10 owners have found work well for initial set-up. I am vacationing in St Lucia over the new year, but won't have a chance to try the camera UW until then.

Appreciate any information/help available.

I haven't seen the F11 so not sure which controls you have on the camera.

Check out the Getting started threads - dont' forget the one in the Canon section. These may talk about specific models, but most of the basics will work with any system that has some control!

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1103341&postcount=4

Hey Alcina,
Thanks for the link. Hopefully I'll have some good shots in St. Lucia to post.

I just wish I would have had my own rig when I was diving in Rangiroa and Moorea this August. The diving shop in Rangiroa wanted $75 for a disc that had 50 canned shots and only 4 of me (out of 7 dives). Out of all of my tropical dives, this was truly the one time that I saw so many incredible species, sharks, giant tuna, sailfish, giant manta rays etc. that I was sick that I didn't have a camera of my own. Kinda like telling that "big one that got away" story when I got back home. My other dive buddies couldn't visualize have incredible it really was.

I was hoping to get some feedback on UW settings that F10 owners have found work well for initial set-up.
The F10 is so automatic that the only meaningful setting is ON. And of course you can select macro. I would suggest turning off the focusing light as it more often than not caused the camera to focus on suspended particles in the water rather than the subject.

1fastcat:
Hi to all,
Just got the new Fuji F11 camera w/UW housing (chose it over the DC500 and others due to its perceived robust (features full manual control),...................

Are you stating that the F-11 offers full manual control?

I've read that Program (auto) Mode, Aperture priority and Shutter priority are user options. I've not seen any indication though that clearly states that full control of aperture and shutter speed (full manual control) simultaneously by the user is an option.

Please confirm if possible.

tia,
b

Hey Bob,
You cannot control both shutter speed and aperture at the same time. You can select a fixed shutter speed (camera will then automatically select aperture and notify you if will result in an inability for the camera to facilitate a "correct exposure") Same goes for Aperture control, you select, it selects SS.You can also manually fix the ISO setting (80-1600). I don't know if the F10 had this option or not. Just got the camera two days ago, so I'm still playing with all the menus and manual. (previous camera was a Canon SD200)

Here is a brief on other features over the F10:
Besides the addition of the priority modes, the F11’s major improvements include revamped auto focus and metering systems and a boost in resolution on the LCD screen. The Fujifilm F10’s 2.5-inch LCD screen had a paltry 115,000 pixels. The F11 has the same sized screen, but with 153,000 pixels. This is still behind what many manufacturers are offering, but it is an improvement nonetheless. The Fujifilm FinePix F11 has a 256-zone metering system as opposed to the F10’s 64-zone metering. The new F11 can focus as close as 5 cm, while the older F10 could only get as close as 7 cm. While both digital cameras have ISO offerings up to 1600 for still images, the F11 is the only one that can utilize its ISO to 800 in the movie mode.

Fastcat,

I am about to order the F11 and will be very interested to hear your thoughts on underwater performance. I tested out the F10 vs. a Panasonic Lumix FX9 and was really torn -- both did a great job in different ways. But at least the F11 corrects one of the major shortcomings, which is the screen resolution.

The F11 is only available through special importers or direct purchase overseas. Best I've seen is $310 shipped through Broadway cameras. What did you do for a warranty? Buy one of those generic Mack warranties? What was the best price you saw for housings? I've seen ~$160. Can I also assume that it uses the same housing as the F10?

Will be very excited to use the low light capabilities underwater to avoid flash scatter. Just wish that Fuji put in mechanical image stabilization!

Louie

FYI -- here were my observations on the Panasonic FX9 vs. Fuji F10

After doing my homework on a ultra/semiultra compact DC, I settled on 3 models to get my hands on:
* Panasonic Lumix FX9
* Fuji F10
* Nikon S4

My priorities were:
1. Compactness and ergonomics (useability and physical)
2. Optical Zoom and ability to stabilize
3. Low light sensitivity
4. Availability of H20 housing
5. Speed

I've been testing the Panasonic and the Fuji for the past two weeks and really wish there was a clear winner, but they seem to both excel in mutually exclusive areas. (Nikon was back ordered) I am hoping that actual owners can validate my findings. I'd love to find out, for instance, that some of the cons I've found can be addressed by correctly setting features, etc.

So here's what I've found:

Panasonic Pro's:
* 4x zoom in certain resolutions that I find makes a big difference vs. 3x
* Size and "sexiness" -- I love the feel of this camera in my hand
* Excellent fast photo capabilities (3 fps, unlimited)
* Image stabilization really works
* Screen pixel resolution (I preview and share many photos directly from cam)
* Compact battery charger
* Great menus and ease of changing settings quickly

Panasonic Con's:
* No waterproof housing known (please, someone tell me there is one or plans for one, as this would be the deal closer)
* Simply cannot focus lock on some objects in low light conditions like the F10 can
* Short batt life (compared to F10)
* Zooming up from 1x-3x is a little slow

Fuji Pro's:
* Low light performance is astounding. I spent a lot of time doing side by side comparisons of the two and the F10 blows away the FX9 when using the same ISO. See the comparison photo's I've attached
* Battery life. Unbelievable. I've charged it once and have shot probably 600 shots and it's still 2/3 full
* H20 stock case
* Continuous focus feature allows faster non-prefocused shutter time
* Not really a pro, but although the Fuji does not have image stab, I did not notice this to be an issue in most of the photos I took

Fuji Con's:
* Physical design is undistinguished -- feels blocky and chunky next to the svelte and rounded Panasonic
* Menus suck compared to the Panasonic and often require more steps
* High speed action shot capabilities only capture 1st or last 3 frames -- the infinite continuous only captures at 1/sec. Have I got this wrong, or is there a way to capture more than 3 at the 3fps speed?
* Flash doesn't seem to fill as well as the Panasonic. Hard to explain, but if I'm taking indoor photos, the Panasonic does a better job "filling" the space between the subject and camera if there are intermediate objects around.
* Playback zoom is limited at all except the highest resolutions (very annoying)
* Really stupid cord system (what were they thinking?) (although this is mitigated by the length of the battery life and if I get a xD card reader)
* Cost of xD proprietary memory (though this also contributes to the speed and low battery drain)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom